BobTheMystic

Building a rackmount server

Due to popular demand amongst my social circle, I am building a server to run a multiplayer Minecraft world. I saw an article a few months back about building a rackmount server using an Ikea Lack side table and thought that sounded pretty neat.

From forum posts I've read on Minecraft's website, it looks like a dual core ~2.4 gig processor, and around 4 gigs of RAM should be sufficient for a 10-15 person server. For you server guru's out there, does this seem sufficient?

I have been building computers for a decade, but I have never tampered with any server hardware before. From my research, it looks like most server products are custom ordered from server hardware companies (IBM, HP, ThinkMate, etc.) rather than assembled from scratch. Is this true? Is is possible to build a rackmount server from scratch? How difficult is it relative to a standard desktop build?

If it looks more feasible to buy a custom rackmount server, any recommendations for using a particular manufacturer? Any companies/processors to avoid?

Thanks!

I built my own server, but not a rackmount (I don't have any racks is why). Usually you'd want a rackmount because they're easier to cluster together.

Also, any desktop PC build can be used as a server. Servers are usually on 24/7, so you usually want something with low power consumption so you're not paying a hefty electric bill. Most servers utilize ECC RAM, but it's really not necessary.

When you're talking about a gaming server, you don't need to have a server OS to host. All it needs is to take up CPU, Memory, sometimes GPU but not always, and high bandwidth.

Due to popular demand amongst my social circle, I am building a server to run a multiplayer Minecraft world. I saw an article a few months back about building a rackmount server using an Ikea Lack side table and thought that sounded pretty neat.

From forum posts I've read on Minecraft's website, it looks like a dual core ~2.4 gig processor, and around 4 gigs of RAM should be sufficient for a 10-15 person server. For you server guru's out there, does this seem sufficient?

I have been building computers for a decade, but I have never tampered with any server hardware before. From my research, it looks like most server products are custom ordered from server hardware companies (IBM, HP, ThinkMate, etc.) rather than assembled from scratch. Is this true? Is is possible to build a rackmount server from scratch? How difficult is it relative to a standard desktop build?

If it looks more feasible to buy a custom rackmount server, any recommendations for using a particular manufacturer? Any companies/processors to avoid?

Thanks!

Bah, you can build rack mountable servers no problem. Just make sure you double check, then triple check memory compatibility as server motherboards tend to be alittle unforgiving in that aspect. Im a Network Administrator and more than half of our rack mounted servers have been parted and put together by us, not saying that we dont also buy servers from Dell/HP as well, but building them is usually cheaper and more customizable.

www.newegg.com has some really really good deals on server hardware, I would recommend something along the lines of a Intel Xeon 3440(older dual core server processors are pretty expensive actually, and i dont think any new dual-core models have been make in over a year now) but also looks like newegg has a quad-core opteron for like $130(2.2GHZ)

I think you will find these links helpful:

Server Processors

Server Cases - Rackmountable

Server Motherboards

Hope this helped, Also im not sure what you desire to put this all in a rackmountable server and put it on top of a table or whatever, but dude, rackmountable server cases are usally REALLY REALLY loud. Also you dont even need server hardware, Any desktop equivalent components will do the job. You could just as easily do it with a $88 AMD Phenom II x2 555 @ 3.2GHz and a couple GB's of ram. But to each his own! Im not sure what the requirements are for Minecraft, but you might not even need a server operating system, but then again you might, so you should check that.

Also if you want to feel cool and use like a Xeon processor or something, most desktop socket 1156 or 1366 will take a Xeon of the same socket. If you do alittle research on the mother board, at most you will need a BIO's update.

Also, any desktop PC build can be used as a server. Servers are usually on 24/7, so you usually want something with low power consumption so you're not paying a hefty electric bill. Most servers utilize ECC RAM, but it's really not necessary.

This. No point having a rack for one unit.