Sign in to follow this  
zao8350

Blu-Ray Ripping

Ripping yes, burning no.

Also, the FBI isn't going to come looking for you as long as you're not selling anything and it's only for personal use. Once you cross the line and start sharing it freely or charging for copies, that's when you can get in trouble. At Microsoft, we could make images of CD's/DVD's, but had to have one hard copy for each image put on a system. So if we had 1 image of a game to put on 20 different computers, we still needed to have 20 hard copies of the game.

As for recording movies on premium cable channels, I assume it's fine, if again, it's only for personal use. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to have TV Tuners, DVR's, Tivo's, etc. As for ripping BluRay movies, I don't see how that can be illegal. Just like video tapes, CD's, and DVD's, they can get scratched and ruined. Having a backup on a hard drives serves multiple purposes - faster playback, preserves the life of the BluRay drive, serves as a backup in case the BluRay gets lost or damaged (and you have a receipt or a transaction recorded somewhere, like in your e-mail confirmation order or your bank/credit statement), and sometimes bypasses issues with region code issues when using software players.

Please see my post above to educate yourself on the matter.

As to why recording TV isn't illegal, there's a time shifting provision under the Fair Use exception in the DMCA which allows for this. Of course, as you noted, there are a plethora of recording devices on the market and those companies have tons of lawyers who have extensively researched this topic and have found that it is indeed perfectly legal to record TV for your own viewing pleasure.

:withstupid: DvdFab is, for lack of a better word, fabulous (though i didn't know it used GPU acceleration or that it could do blurays.

i have dvdfab 7. i knew it could do blu-rays but i didnt realise you could encode as well as ripping. i've only ever used the DVD to DVD function and then ripped using handbrake. i feel so stupid now. I'm so trying this out later. CUDA FTW