i7 940 to i7 950 then to ?

Myocardium

So my i7 940 is currently wound to 3.06GHz so say like 10% over

I am running only 38 degrees idle and 49 at load, I have "liquid cooling' (not water) and 7 case fans 2 which are huge 240mm fans

How far would it be feasable to overclock this thing with out running it at high risk to melting my chips?

I did read some forums with people running over 4GHz on this thing...but I am new to overclocking and would rather not have to fix this thing later.

Again I am going for peak performance at a safe level but any and all advice would be appreciated.

I only play games like CoD, WoW, Diablo, Starcraft II, Settlers 7, Torchlight.. nothing to demanding but I like to run a lot of stuff at once like I am usually playing torchlight while waiting for a raid to start on WoW with Ventrilo, a few instant messengers and streaming music in the back ground. Not to mention the 25 add ons I use for WoW.

Thanky Thanky

Myocardium

PS i can not find any worth while information on the Asetek 570LX liquid cooling.. IDK if its good enough for extreme overclocking but I have the 240mil radiator pinched between 2x 140mm fans underneath it and a big 240mm fan on top so it gets a steady stream of air and my case is huge and open and set up like a wind tunnel with 3x140mm's and 1x240mm blowing in and 2x140mm's and 1x240mm blowing out through the radiator.

Edited by Myocardium

All an i7 950 will give you is a x23 multiplier. Overclocking at even-numbered multipliers aren't stable. For reference, I'm able to get up to 4.37 GHz with 23 x 190 with HT with temps maxing at 76C when running Prime95 for 2 hours. I could probably raise it higher, but I prefer lower temps than high overclocks. I have a 120.4 rad, but a 120.2 rad maxed at 80C, so it wasn't that big of a boost. Mainly did it since I'll be watercooling my SLI'd GTX 460's.

4.0 GHz with an i7 940 is completely feasible. Most likely nothing you do will ever put your CPU's at 100% like when you're stress testing it (I have my computer on 24/7 and my max temps never reach more than 70C, and I'm always folding when I'm using it, too). Keep your temps lower, the longer your CPU may theoretically last.

Max TDP on an I7 is 100c, I'd keep it below 80c Max Full load under OCCT linpack which means plenty of head room if all goes wrong. But the Less temperature you have the longer that chip will last as El_Capitan said, Its know that 10c less temperature can almost double a chips life. In my opinion..... Overclock away until you cannot push it any faster Jim. :rofl:

There is a decent guide @ overclock.net, Or pure overclock. Hope you find the clocks you want. :D

Edited by boinker

what is the liquid being used in the Asetek 570LX ? if i was gona guess i would say water

crank it up to 4.0 and forget it, she will hold

The little bit of looking around I did said its basically a Corsair H70 with a dual 120 radiator. They are the same company that makes the H50 and H70 for Corsair.

Edited by slick2500

Max TDP on an I7 is 100c, I'd keep it below 80c Max Full load under OCCT linpack which means plenty of head room if all goes wrong. But the Less temperature you have the longer that chip will last as El_Capitan said, Its know that 10c less temperature can almost double a chips life. In my opinion..... Overclock away until you cannot push it any faster Jim. :rofl:

There is a decent guide @ overclock.net, Or pure overclock. Hope you find the clocks you want. :D

TDP is measured in Watts, not temperature, so what are you saying? It's thermal threshold is 100C...