Minecraft

Flibo

I'm quite amazed that there's no thread for this awesome game!

For those who do not know it, Minecraft is a sandbox-ish survival game. It's only in alpha stage, so so far there is no other goal in the game apart from surviving, so only your creativity can make the game interesting! You can dig your own caves (uhm, mines!) and build your own house or castle, kill helpless animals and run from blood-thirsty zombies. You can craft your own weapons and armor from minerals you gather from your mine or from the outer world. There is no storyline, it is all random generated, which really adds to the game. You never know when you find something.

Check out how the game works:

You can actually make some quite complex structures in the game. If you've ever played Dwarf Fortress, then I think it's quite similar (I'm not very experienced with DF so I don't know). With a bit of creativity you can make traps and such with "stick and stone". As you probably noticed, the game isn't the most graphically advanced one. Well... That's just a precondition for a game to be awesome :lol:

The interesting thing about it still being in alpha is that you can easily interact with the developer via forums or Twitter and tell him your ideas. It might as well happen! The game will be exponentially more awesome in some time I'm sure. As of now the multiplayer is a bit buggy, but the multiplayer code will be completely rewritten from what I've heard.

As of now, it costs 9,95 euro (around 13 USD). When it goes beta, it will cost 19,95 euro.

I've played it for a few weeks and I'm liking it. At the moment I'm just playing single player, and I'm trying to convert a mountain into my castle :lol: I sound like a mad scientist! Do any of you guys play it? If so, tell your experiences, and if you play online, feel free to tell your server's IP!

As soon as I get paid, I'm going to pick this up. Honestly, i usually "try" most games I play before I go out and buy them, and usually I don't enjoy it enough to shell out what little money I have for a big name game without replay value. this though, looks awesome, and stealing from indie developers is just wrong.

EDIT: Okay, I caved and bought it now. i should have a check in the mail; today anyway. It's pretty sweet, but i'm so confused. i want to build a place to l;ive, but it be dark insisde the jill. And then it got dark, so i literally built a tower by jumping and placing blocks in one spot.... I won't let them get me....

Edited by F13Bubba

Hehe, yes, that's one way, but skeletons might still be able to shoot you down :)

Try to mine some coal (the black thing you know) and craft torches of it (you also need sticks). Keep in mind that monsters spawn in dark areas, so your home should be well lit. Monsters also spawn at dungeons, but they are somewhat rare near the ground level.

This is very useful resource: http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page

the only reason why i haven't got this yet is because id spend weeks and months creating a masterpiece co-op adventure game :lol: (if co-op is possible, theres multiplayer so i guess so?)

Yeah, you can build with your friends.

So I started a new world, my last one didn't go so well lol. I originally intended to build my castle on a hill, but then I saw a lake below the mountain i was using, so i'm now going to build an island and a castle, and use the mountain as a quarry to get materials. it's especially useful during the night, as I had already built walls, so i'm well defended, but I'm down to 3.5 hearts :( Damn archer skeletons. Note to self: don't go up on the walls at night....ever.

i died..... twice. the after the first time though, i was smart enough to leave a chest and workbench at my quarry. This kinda reminds me of farmville... but in 3D with zombies...

Edited by F13Bubba

Haha, yes! Just last night I found myself farming cacti instead of reading for today's exam.

Weirdly, I've never seen a skeleton in my world. Not even a spider. Only zombies and creepers. Maybe I'm just too secure in my little cave :lol: Go kill some pigs and put the meat in a furnace. It gives a nice bit of life.

A nice tip in case you like to die often is that you can make a high tower on top of your "home" so you can see it from far away. I made a pretty high tower by simply jumping, placing a cobblestone under me and occasionally adding a piece of ladder so I can get down. Then just put a couple torches near the top of your tower and it's visible from nearly anywhere!

I wish I found more creepers. Making a fake lake is pretty tedious without TNT!

As long as you wall in your home/work area and put up torches nothing will get in. All the monster spawn in the dark.

Edit: All this talk about Minecraft is making me want to put it back on my computer.

Edited by McGrimm

Haha, yes! Just last night I found myself farming cacti instead of reading for today's exam.

Weirdly, I've never seen a skeleton in my world. Not even a spider. Only zombies and creepers. Maybe I'm just too secure in my little cave :lol: Go kill some pigs and put the meat in a furnace. It gives a nice bit of life.

A nice tip in case you like to die often is that you can make a high tower on top of your "home" so you can see it from far away. I made a pretty high tower by simply jumping, placing a cobblestone under me and occasionally adding a piece of ladder so I can get down. Then just put a couple torches near the top of your tower and it's visible from nearly anywhere!

I wish I found more creepers. Making a fake lake is pretty tedious without TNT!

That is a freaking amazing idea, as i lost a good amount of supplies today, including my only bow, after dieing and not getting back fast enough. i literally got one block away before it went away :(