Sign in to follow this  
Shadowtroop

How Much Would I Need?

Hello experts in watercooling :biggrin: . Over the past few months i have been growing ever so curious about watercooling, and i think i am about ready to go for it. My question is; what kind of setup would i need to cool a PII 965 and a 5970?

i was hoping to get my cpu to 4.0 GHZ but i hit the wall at 3.8, im pushing 59 degrees and i dont want to fry this thing lol.

i was wondering if it were possible to cool both my 5970 and my cpu with a single loop.

i have a HAF 932 so i can stick a 360 rad no problem up top. i know that its going to cost me a pretty penny but i am willing to spend up to 500 or so to get it done.

thanks for the advice

I'm no expert, but it shouldn't cost you $500. Yes, you could cool your CPU and GPU's in a single loop. The most important thing is to find the right GPU block for your 5970. Is it a reference 5970? You'll most likely cool your CPU by 10C - 15C using a dual rad, and 15-25C for your GPU... so don't expect too much from liquid cooling... but it's still cool to have finally gotten into it.

yep i got a reference 5970, im just hoping to have a more silent system and to hopefully get my CPU to 4.0

i hope its not going to cost me 500 but if i have to. . . .

Well, I would recommend the same kit I got to start off, but instead of buying the kit, buy the individual components. Instead of a dual radiator, get a quad. It'll cost you around $320 with a quad radiator (depends on the sales - I got my kit for $220 with a dual radiator... I have a friend that works Amazon). For the 5970 GPU block, you have your choice of Danger Den, Swiftech, Ek, and Koolance, which will cost about $110 - $150.

I ran a 120.3 Rad with 2 x 4890's with my old 965. Temps at 1.6V were 52ish under load with the 2 x 4970's under load. With the same cooling on my i7 930 and 5870 eyefinity 1G my temps are wonderful. 1 x triple 120Mm rad will be plenty of horsepower to cool your rig.... No need for a quad it is overkill......

Here is a screen shot with 965+ 2 x 4890's under load @ 1.6V. Idle 33 and load 49. Ambients were winter in basement but I do not keep it cold by no means....... Prob 70 F. It will cost near $500 with decent parts....... For sure $400 or so....

Remember, these results were from 1.6V. This is phenomenal results from that voltage......

fgfgfgf.png

Edited by Drdeath

If you want real good cooling here is what I would recommend

CPU Block:

Apogee XT

EK Supreme

Heatkiller 3.0

XSPC Raza

All 4 blocks perform about 1-2 degrees apart

CPU Block:

EK or Danger Den like Capatin suggested. The Koolance has a little more restriction if I remember.

Pump:

Liang MCP655

Res:

Swiftech Microres.... Small easy to install and under $30

but there are more to choose from

Rad:

Thermalchill PA120.3 is one of the better. If you want to save a few $ XSPC makes the RX360 which is a bit under $100 US and got a great review but the Thermachill will put you back only $30.

Tubing:

You have a lot to choose from. Tygon is good but watercooling tubing is a rip. I used Python 3/4 OD and 7/16 ID and it is cheaper. Pet supply stored have drainage hose and Pytoin makes them. It was like $15 for 15 ft.

Clamps:

get metal clamps.

Barbs:

Many to choose from. I prefer Bitspower.

Hope this gets you started.... No deed for anything more than a single loop.

Edited by Drdeath

cool i was looking at this radiator

http://www.frozencpu...m_Radiator.html

would you guys say i need 3 or 6 fans for it. i already have two scythe gentle typhoons and i think im going with those for the radiator.

Good Rad. 3 Fans will do it but if you want 6 it may be better. 6 made no difference on my Thermachill but I think it would on yours.....+

Edited by Drdeath

Looks like a solid build...... The guys at Frozen PC are great. You will enjoy buying from them. They ship quickly too.

Edited by Drdeath