Switching to Windows 7

Groedius

Install your new 1TB HDD and leave the 400GB HDD out for now. I don't know how you've partitioned the new drive, something like 100GB(OS),450GB(games/data),450GB(data)? Install Windows 7 on your OS partition and get it up and running with all the drivers, etc. When you are happy Windows 7 is running as it should just install your old 400GB and copy the data across to the new data partitions on the new 1TB HDD. When you are completely sure all the data is copied across you can format the 400GB and use that for extra data or backup.

Ive installed the new drive but i still had the old 1 in will this make an difference ?

I have got 3 partitions on the drive like you said yeah 450 x 2 and 1 100 GB.

So i should remove the 400GB drive and install the windows 7 onto the 1 TB drive and then when i have it up and running just copy all the data across. What is the easiest way for me to do that for alot of games and such. I would assume the quickest way is to use something like DriveImage XML but i believe that copies everything so that would put Windows XP onto it aswell. Is there a way i can then remove Windows XP from there ?

Ive installed the new drive but i still had the old 1 in will this make an difference ?

I have got 3 partitions on the drive like you said yeah 450 x 2 and 1 100 GB.

So i should remove the 400GB drive and install the windows 7 onto the 1 TB drive and then when i have it up and running just copy all the data across. What is the easiest way for me to do that for alot of games and such. I would assume the quickest way is to use something like DriveImage XML but i believe that copies everything so that would put Windows XP onto it aswell. Is there a way i can then remove Windows XP from there ?

You are changing your OS from Windows XP to Windows 7 so your programs and games aren't going to work. Most games install a lot of files in the windows directory so once XP is gone they won't run. You'll have to install the games again, I don't think there's a lot you can do about that?

You are changing your OS from Windows XP to Windows 7 so your programs and games aren't going to work. Most games install a lot of files in the windows directory so once XP is gone they won't run. You'll have to install the games again, I don't think there's a lot you can do about that?

Right i see well it should not be too big of a problem I think I can get most of what I need off of it and i believe there is a way to back up my Steam games and saved files which is good because i own quite a few steam games. Only thing that worries me is i got SC2 from the Blizzard store thing and hopefully i can re download that and play it still.

Right i see well it should not be too big of a problem I think I can get most of what I need off of it and i believe there is a way to back up my Steam games and saved files which is good because i own quite a few steam games. Only thing that worries me is i got SC2 from the Blizzard store thing and hopefully i can re download that and play it still.

Games are a problem but like you said you should be able to find the saved game files. Data like films, music and office files aren't a problem just pull them across. Not sure about SC2 but good luck anyway. ;)