Switching to Windows 7

Groedius

Currently i am running windows XP and my hard drive was not configured when windows was initially installed a friend did it for me so the whole hard drive is 1 partition and windows XP is on there with all my information which i dont want to lose its around 400 GB of stuff. What would be the easiest way for me to switch over to Windows 7.

Would buying an new HDD and use that to boot windows 7 will work ok ?

An external HD~ 500 GB = $75-100

Transfer = Zero

Working on computers = Priceless

To copy the files, just copy all your valuable data -- My Documents, Music, Videos, Downloaded Programs and Entertainment (heh.), etc to the new external HD

1. Plug in external HD

2. Open up My Computer

3. Click on your External HD

4. Open My Documents, Music, etc and start copying to the external HD

5. Wait and grab a beer.

There is a no cost method.

Split your main partition into two, then store all your stuff on that second partition. Then leave the Windows XP partition to install Windows 7 on. Afterwards if you want to go back to just one partition, merge the two inside Windows 7.

I think this method requires that you have free space to split it. I haven't been into Disk Management in awhile. Not sure if Windows XP has it or not. I know its on Vista and Win 7 though.

If its not on XP, you could always use a 3rd party app.

Edited by Krazyxazn

There is a no cost method.

Split your main partition into two, then store all your stuff on that second partition. Then leave the Windows XP partition to install Windows 7 on. Afterwards if you want to go back to just one partition, merge the two inside Windows 7.

I think this method requires that you have free space to split it. I haven't been into Disk Management in awhile. Not sure if Windows XP has it or not. I know its on Vista and Win 7 though.

If its not on XP, you could always use a 3rd party app.

It had disk management on XP however i cannot seem to be able to use it

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

Were i get stuck is at this bit

To create a new partition, right-click unallocated space on the basic disk where you want to create the partition, and then click New Partition.

I dont see were i am supposed to right click and click new partition. I have right clicked everywere and i do not get the new partition option. Maybe i do not have enough free space on my disk to be able to do it ?

I don't think you can change your partition size via Windows and you won't have any free space to create a new partition.

GParted will resize partitions without losing data but with 400GB it won't be without risk.

What size is your current HDD?

• 2 weeks later...

Partition or no partition, if the hard drive fails your still screwed. External or internal backup drive is best way really. I have always had my computers setup with a main drive and data drive for backups, but then I also have a 16GB flash drive too to tripple backup the priceless stuff (photo's and documents)

I have an 400 GB drive thats samsung the new drive is 1 TB drive WD sata 3 64 mg cache 6.0 Gbs. ideally i want that to be the main drive and the other to be the slave only thing is though not too sure on how to do this and that id have to copy windows XP with all my information right ? I have 3 partitions on it was going to use 1 for the OS and the other 2 for data.

Install your new 1TB HDD and leave the 400GB HDD out for now. I don't know how you've partitioned the new drive, something like 100GB(OS),450GB(games/data),450GB(data)? Install Windows 7 on your OS partition and get it up and running with all the drivers, etc. When you are happy Windows 7 is running as it should just install your old 400GB and copy the data across to the new data partitions on the new 1TB HDD. When you are completely sure all the data is copied across you can format the 400GB and use that for extra data or backup.