Shurman292

SLI a GTX 470 With a GTX 460?

I was curious if I would be able to scale well in SLI if I add a GTX 460 to my system. I've heard reports that it is possible to run two different graphics cards in SLI but I would be leery of doing so except that I do not think my power supply would handle two 470's. My current 470 is OC'd to 726mhz (up from 605), memory and voltages are stock. Would I need to OC the 460 to run at the same frequency as my 470? And with all of this being said, is my PSU powerful enough (I know Corsair makes great PSUs) to power a rig like that?

Thank you in advance!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-gf104-fermi,2684-13.html

Power consumption AFAIK doesnt simply add together, at least it doesnt with 480's, so you'll be close but I think okay.

As far as performance goes, you can SLI the two cards... the requirements for SLI are that the GPU's are of the same line, so a GTX 4xx can SLI with any other GTX 4xx, but not with a GTX 2xx. However, your performance gains would be less than if you SLI'd two 470's, but gains nonetheless. Just look up GTX 470 SLI benchmarks and take off a few FPS, thats what I would assume your performance would be.

I dunno if the two cards will SLI, since the GPUs are different (The GTX 460 is a GF104, a newer chip.)

TBH you'd probably be better off with two GTX 460 1GB

As far as I know, both cards have to run at the same frequency for SLI to function so both cards would be limited to the 460's frequency. For power consumption, I think you'd be safe. I run a pair of 480's (stock clock) and an i7-930 at 4 ghz and my system pulls about 635W when folding on 7 CPU threads and both GPUs. However, when I overclocked the GPUs from 700/1850 to 845/2050 the power usage went up to 770W. So take that information and use it as you will. If you can, find a friend/coworker with a Kill-A-Watt meter to see just how much wiggle room you have.

As far as I know, both cards have to run at the same frequency for SLI to function so both cards would be limited to the 460's frequency. For power consumption, I think you'd be safe. I run a pair of 480's (stock clock) and an i7-930 at 4 ghz and my system pulls about 635W when folding on 7 CPU threads and both GPUs. However, when I overclocked the GPUs from 700/1850 to 845/2050 the power usage went up to 770W. So take that information and use it as you will. If you can, find a friend/coworker with a Kill-A-Watt meter to see just how much wiggle room you have.

When you OC'd to 845, did you increase the voltage? That would make the watt usage skyrocket, whereas my gtx470 is not currently voltage up-regulated to my knowledge. Thanks for the info ebarone, I will definitely consider it in the future if/when I need to upgrade.

When you OC'd to 845, did you increase the voltage? That would make the watt usage skyrocket, whereas my gtx470 is not currently voltage up-regulated to my knowledge. Thanks for the info ebarone, I will definitely consider it in the future if/when I need to upgrade.

Yes, voltage was increased. Also, I undervolt at stock speeds too to tame the heat of two 480's which exaggerates the difference.