Accessing PC share from different subnet

silkster

How did you finally set it up?

Turned on DHCP on the G router/ Turned off DHCP on the N router, plugged each end of the cable to regular LAN ports on both routers. Any hard-wired or wireless nodes connecting to the 802.11n router has the G router leasing the IPs. Sweet..

All the PCs connected on both routers now are on the same 192.168.x.x. subnet, I'm able to connect to shares and the printer. Once again, thank you all.

Edited by silkster

Ok, I have ONE LAST question.. How can I log into the N router? I tried logging on to the Verizon 802.11g modem and looked at the attached device but I don't see the WNDR-3300 device :dunno: So I don't know what IP it was given.

I tried the default "www.routerlogin.net" gateway name but still a no go :\

Guest ajmatson

Check your modem for a list of devices that are currently given an IP and it should show up there, letting you access it.

Once you set it up as passive you won't be able to unless you do a hard reset on it (As far as I know). You shouldn't need to access it since all administration will be done by the G router. When you set it up the way you did it is in essence just an Access Point and no longer a router in terms of functionality. It becomes basically a switch with wireless capabilities.

• 2 weeks later...

I basically do the same thing you are Silk, except my main router is a wired one.

Modem->main router->switch->cable to Wireless router acting as an access point into a LAN port on the wireless router.

Its been a while since I set it up, but I think I configured the wireless router before putting it into production, by disabling DHCP, and just configuring the wireless portion of it. Then after it was configured, I connected it up as an access point, by plugging the "uplink" into one of the LAN ports. This way, my main router does all the DHCP/Firewall/etc, and the wireless router just broadcasts the same network over wireless.