$1500 Rig, need some input, suggestions

nitesoul

ok so, im really not sure what to do, 1156 or 1366? i7 or i5?

so far all i have set down is that im going to go sli gtx 460 1gb. that will help narrow down some motherboards, but more confusion with the whole pci e slots...anyway, i would appreciate if someone can post some nice builds with sli gtx 460 at 1500$ all i need is

*note i can get the gtx460 for 245 each, so thats like ~1000$ for the following, possible?:

-mobo,

-cpu,

-ram,

-case(full tower preffered),

-psu(currently on CM 750w GX series that is sli ready, but is it enough?),

-cpu cooler,

local would be better, local stores (www.otvtech.com and also www.top-logix.com), otherwise ncix is prefferred.

any help appreciated!

thanks

EDIT:

i need it for gaming, i do editing but not nearly extensive as gaming, no futureproof, when new processors come id be more confident in buying new motherboards/parts for it then, for now only 'future' items i want is usb3. anyways, ive got a build down, cost a bit over 1500$

MOBO - ($ 272) ASUS P6X58D-E (2 way sli 8x/8x)

CPU - ($ 317) i7 930 2.80GHz

VIDEO1 - ($ 245) eVGA GTX460 1GB GDDR5

VIDEO2 - ($ 245) eVGA GTX460 1GB GDDR5

RAM -($ 170) 6GB (3x2048Mhz) G.SKILL PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz

CASE -

PSU - need help on this

Edited by nitesoul

Do you want speed, future proofing what? Purposes? Info is helpful.

I would go with 1336 as it will last longer, probably.

i need it for gaming, i do editing but not nearly extensive as gaming, no futureproof, when new processors come id be more confident in buying new motherboards/parts for it then, for now only 'future' items i want is usb3. anyways, ive got a build down, cost a bit over 1500$

MOBO - ($ 272) ASUS P6X58D-E (2 way sli 8x/8x)

CPU - ($ 317) i7 930 2.80GHz

VIDEO1 - ($ 245) eVGA GTX460 1GB GDDR5

VIDEO2 - ($ 245) eVGA GTX460 1GB GDDR5

RAM -($ 170) 6GB (3x2048Mhz) G.SKILL PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz

CASE -

PSU - need help on this

also, any reason to choose P6X58D premum over E? the E version has turbo boost also correct?

Edited by nitesoul

is that US dollars? i see the 930 generally at $290 and maybe lower.

As for PSU, go with a corsair TX series. It isn't modular, but they are cheap and from what I have read great PSU's. I have a 950 and although my build isn't complete yet the sleeving on the cables and construction feels great.

is that US dollars? i see the 930 generally at $290 and maybe lower.

As for PSU, go with a corsair TX series. It isn't modular, but they are cheap and from what I have read great PSU's. I have a 950 and although my build isn't complete yet the sleeving on the cables and construction feels great.

thats CAD, and locally so theirs no shipping

Have you considered AMD? You can get still great performance for less, and there are some SLI capable AMD motherboards, albeit very few

Here's the one I'm getting: ASUS M4N98TD EVO because, like you, I'm doing SLI with a pair of GTX 460's. Unfortunately, there is no USB 3 on this board

But, whatever components you get, I recommend the Cooler Master HAF 932 for your case

And, for SLI, you shouldn't need more than a 750W PSW, and the Corsair TX750 is a great one

Agree..instead of i7 930, I would like to choose AMD Phenom X6 1090T....with 890FX based motherboard.. it will do Crossfire X in 16x/16x. I don't know if AMD's motherboards can be used for SLI. but I think it is no problem...maybe the expert can explain about this..

Actually, coolermaster GX series is a good and though PSU too, but has a lower price....650-750watt is enough for your system, your SLI is GTX460, not GTX480. GTX460 is not as heavy as GTX480.

CrossfireX Ati Radeon HD 5870 still can be done with 650watt pure PSU...but it is very close.. So for your rig 650watt is enough already I think..or If you have a doubt, just go for 700-750watt PSU, it will be a waste if you take 800watt above PSU...

Edited by Liclac

The intel i7 have 8 thread as well, 4 true cores, and 4 logical cores, equals to 8 logical cores. 4 logical cores in i7 vs 2 true cores in AMD 1090T, if your software support 6 core, and able to work on all of the 6 cores, the speed will be above i7 930, but it is still under i7 950...That's what I read in so many reviews and benchmark about X6 1090T and i7 930.. no offense to the other opinion, but I just shared what I know.. The choice is up to the rig builder... ^^

I say stick with Intel. The 930 is solid and will do more work in video editing programs at the same speed as the 6 core AMD. Hyperthreading gives you 8 threads vs 6.

But you still only have 4 physical cores...

Your system is for gamming then dont waste ur money on i7,get AMD X6

Have you considered AMD? You can get still great performance for less, and there are some SLI capable AMD motherboards, albeit very few

Here's the one I'm getting: ASUS M4N98TD EVO because, like you, I'm doing SLI with a pair of GTX 460's. Unfortunately, there is no USB 3 on this board

I would get the NZXT Phantom as the case and the coolermaster GX750 is sufficient for the SLI 460s and overclocking.