Sign in to follow this  
privateapples

is my mobo dead?

So I just got back from vacation and went to turn on my HTPC and it wouldnt power on at all even though I had it connected to a surge protector. So I took out the power supply and it worked fine on my other pc... i just went to sleep after and now at work so I havent had a chance to test anything else but I feel the only possible thing that it could be is the motherboard because its not powering on what so ever. Other than that I thought it might just be the power button on my case but still that seems to be far fetched... Does anyone else have any idea what it could possibly be?

Nope.

Sometimes cables go bad, it could be a short, graphics card, ect........... You could try a build out of the box. See if it posts with only the essentials. Mobo,PSU, CPU, memory and GPU. If it doesn't post, it is one of the mentioned and getting closer to your diagnosis.

Building outside eliminates the possibility of something shorting out. If you do get a post, add other harware 1 by 1 and you will easily find the culprit. Also you may want to try 1 stick of Ram and then the other before you build it. Reset Cmos... If I think of anything else I will update.

Ohhh you can try this. Disconect the power button and manually turn it on by grounding the power on posts with a screwdriver..... This will eliminate the power switch......

+1 on the outside build. But before you do that, does your motherboard have any diagnostic lights on the end with the connections to the outside? They can often tell a lot. Also just try reseating connections and RAM, sometimes that's all it is.

Mobos Dead : i removed the mobo and replaced it with an old one with a bad bios chip and everything started up just fine, i then placed the newer mobo back in and didnt turn on, sucks :( only had it about 2 months. Is there a way to fix this mobo myself? or is it trash :( .

Mobos Dead : i removed the mobo and replaced it with an old one with a bad bios chip and everything started up just fine, i then placed the newer mobo back in and didnt turn on, sucks :( only had it about 2 months. Is there a way to fix this mobo myself? or is it trash :( .

Same thing happened to one of my motherboards. It would turn on, though, but no beeps and no post. RMA it. Shipping costs via USPS was only around ~$10.

By the way its a GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Lol, my motherboard that went bad was a GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard. Yay for Gigabyte! Gigabyte's awesome!

Seriously though, Gigabyte isn't what it used to be. Never buying a Gigabyte motherboard again. Having bought and used perhaps 20 motherboards over the past 4 years, the Gigabyte board was the only one that bit the dust... and it was hardly running anything particularly stressful.

Lol, my motherboard that went bad was a GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard. Yay for Gigabyte! Gigabyte's awesome!

Seriously though, Gigabyte isn't what it used to be. Never buying a Gigabyte motherboard again. Having bought and used perhaps 20 motherboards over the past 4 years, the Gigabyte board was the only one that bit the dust... and it was hardly running anything particularly stressful.

Happens with every motherboard manufacturer. Gigabytes reputation is as good as ever.