:pfp: I thought the 980x was just a higher clocked 900 with an unlocked multi, thats why I never thought it'd ever be worth it

No, the 975 is the Quad Core i7 with the unlocked mulit. The 980x is a 6 Core i7 with an unlocked multi. I have actually been having an internal arguement with myself for quite a few months now over upgrading from my 930 to the 980x. Even though the money aspect is not the issue, I have made the decision that with what I do, it really just isn't going to benefit me. Especially if your just gaming, then it is just a waste of money if you already have an i7. Now, that being said I plan on getting much more serious about video editing and rendering, so down the line when that happens, I might be able to justify moving to the 980x over my 930. But, right now I'm addicted to L4D2 and waiting for Crysis 2, and a better cpu will do nothing for me!

No, the 975 is the Quad Core i7 with the unlocked mulit. The 980x is a 6 Core i7 with an unlocked multi. I have actually been having an internal arguement with myself for quite a few months now over upgrading from my 930 to the 980x. Even though the money aspect is not the issue, I have made the decision that with what I do, it really just isn't going to benefit me. Especially if your just gaming, then it is just a waste of money if you already have an i7. Now, that being said I plan on getting much more serious about video editing and rendering, so down the line when that happens, I might be able to justify moving to the 980x over my 930. But, right now I'm addicted to L4D2 and waiting for Crysis 2, and a better cpu will do nothing for me!

I would just wait for the 930 equivalent appears on the market and then pounce

I would just wait for the 930 equivalent appears on the market and then pounce

It's called the i7 970 (6 core locked multi), but they priced it at $900. A steal, huh? Funny, they released it at $700, but prices jumped. Probably to get more people to buy the i7 980x, then when supply runs low, lower the price of the i7 970 to $700, then $500.

It's called the i7 970 (6 core locked multi), but they priced it at $900. A steal, huh? Funny, they released it at $700, but prices jumped. Probably to get more people to buy the i7 980x, then when supply runs low, lower the price of the i7 970 to $700, then $500.

Thats gay, I could see $350 making sense, max $400. But anything more and it's not justified

And even then, if clocked identically wouldnt there be no difference??

Depending on what he is doing(looks like Autocad and video editing). In these two things the 12 threads on the 980X will pay dividends over the 8 on the 920. 4 more threads means a 33% decrease in time spent or a 33% increase in computing power depending on how you look at it. Les time to do the work means more work gets done in a given time frame!

Remember this is not overcheapers club! Its all about the HP!

Depending on what he is doing(looks like Autocad and video editing). In these two things the 12 threads on the 980X will pay dividends over the 8 on the 920. 4 more threads means a 33% decrease in time spent or a 33% increase in computing power depending on how you look at it. Les time to do the work means more work gets done in a given time frame!

Remember this is not overcheapers club! Its all about the HP!

Yeah but I said that before I knew the 980 as a hexcore w/HT , I wouldn't of said that if I knew :rolleyes: . I figured it was just a glorified unlocked 4core

A better thing to do would be to:

Get another i7 930 (or i7 920) and...

EVGA Classified SR-2 (Super Record 2) 270-WS-W555-A1 LGA 1366 Intel 5520 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HPTX Intel Motherboard

i7 930 = $200 (at MicroCenter)

+

EVGA Classified SR-2 = $579.99

Total = $779.99 for dual overclocked i7 930's for 8 cores and 16 threads... plus a motherboard with the most bells and whistles I've ever seen.

I already have a server with two XEON E5520's, and thinking about upgrading once they've been out a while and see how other people fare with them. :P

A better thing to do would be to:

Get another i7 930 (or i7 920) and...

EVGA Classified SR-2 (Super Record 2) 270-WS-W555-A1 LGA 1366 Intel 5520 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HPTX Intel Motherboard

i7 930 = $200 (at MicroCenter)

+

EVGA Classified SR-2 = $579.99

Total = $779.99 for dual overclocked i7 930's for 8 cores and 16 threads... plus a motherboard with the most bells and whistles I've ever seen.

I already have a server with two XEON E5520's, and thinking about upgrading once they've been out a while and see how other people fare with them. :P

The SR2 would be of no use at all to anyone with either a 930 or a 920.

It only accepts Xeon server chips, because they can "talk" to each other. In other words they have dual QPI, all the retail 1366 (920, 930, 975,980x) are single QPI parts and won't work in the SR2.

The SR2 would be of no use at all to anyone with either a 930 or a 920.

It only accepts Xeon server chips, because they can "talk" to each other. In other words they have dual QPI, all the retail 1366 (920, 930, 975,980x) are single QPI parts and won't work in the SR2.

Oops, you're correct, good sir.