Sometimes I really hate GM

Waco

I got a safety recall notice in the mail today for my Cobalt. It has details about the power steering assist randomly cutting out when driving.

The problem with this?

I had this SAME PROBLEM FIXED about 5 months ago and the dealer assured me that my car was not covered by any recall and I'd have to use my extended warranty and pay the deductible. Shortly after this I called GM customer service and they were supposedly processing a refund since my car was having the same issues as all the other Cobalts (the dealer said that the SS model wasn't in the recall). That was 5 months ago and no amount of hounding has gotten me anywhere. There's been no progress in getting my money back and now they sent out a formal recall notice saying that there would be no charges for the fix.

I spotted the problem early, got it fixed early, and now I'm getting punished for it. :doh:

I think a trip to the dealer with my bill from the work and the recall notice is in hand with some very loud shouting to make my point and get my damn money back. :lol:

.in' GM.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, this is why I'm leery of buying a new car. Lots of recalls lately, not worth it imo.

Hope you get it taken care of Waco. Never easy to deal with but some amount of threatening should work.

The only experiance I have with GM is there is a solenoid on the shifter on my car that if it goes out you can't remove the key from the ignition. I took it in and they charged me $424 for a new shifter plus labor, wasn't covered under any sort of warranty, and was told that was the only way to fix it. Well after all was said and done and $424 later, was doing some research online for something totally unrelated and found two different fixes for that issue, one involved removing the lower part of the steering wheel and zip tying a small button down. The second was buying a $20 solenoid and replacing the bad one on the shifter, that GM told me I had to replace the entire shifter because the solenoid couldn't just be replaced. Needless to say now everytime something goes wrong I search and search the internet to find a solution. I will not take my car in to GM any more especially now that my warranty expired.

Edited by slick2500

yeah this sort of thing happened with my jeep, I had fixed a leaky rear brake drum and then found a recall notice in the mail (mind you my old Jeep was a '93) but was a little mad that I had paid to get it fixed (though it was found while having something else done to my car). I never did try and get my money back though, but you really should!!

TBH, I'm surprised it took you so long to get the recall notice. My buddies 06 (or 07?) SS had the same issue and I told him right away that there was a recall (saw it on the news). He took it into the dealer and they fixed it for free under recall. This happened in February.

Either way, hopefully you get it resolved, and get your money back in a timely manner.

Edited by sYstEmATiC

It's not the dealerships fault, or your fault for that matter.... for one, why would you get repairs done at a dealership? their labour rates are usually insane. Two, the reason your not being covered is because you haven't come up with enough proof. don't hound them... rather, show them the bill in, with the amount paid, and the recall saying there's no charge. They shouldn't put up an arguement with that. Sometimes it helps to ask to speak to management the second you walk in the door... Or you could state the problem, and if they don't seem interested get management. :dunno:

for one, why would you get repairs done at a dealership? their labour rates are usually insane. Two, the reason your not being covered is because you haven't come up with enough proof. don't hound them...

First - I have an extended warranty. Second - proof of what? Proof that my car is in the recall? I have the notice. When I initially went in my car wasn't actually in the recall because I went in before the notices went out. GM customer service was already supposed to have refunded me my costs but after a months of back and forth I still have nothing to show for it.

you probably won't even have to shout waco, they'll make it right...no worries

I'm probably not going to shout...I was just venting. I tend not to shout when trying to get something from someone. :P

Edited by Waco

Hey Waco,

I feel ya bro. I just got the Same Recall on my 06' Saturn ION Redline (Were Supercharged Homies for life!)

But yeah their should have been no beef about it, show GM your bill and they should with out even thinking about it pay you back for it.

I took my bill in as well and got reimbursed.