Sign in to follow this  
Mombo

Trying to setup Gigabit Lan

Alright my house has some crazy wiring in it right now just so I could get everything connected. Some of the stuff I dont care so much that its gigabit other things I do. Before I go through how I have it all wired let me just say what I am trying to accomplish....which isnt much imo. I want my HTPC, File Server, and my Desktop all connected to each other with a gigabit connection.

I thought this would be super easy my computer is on the other side of the wall of the HTPC and the Server......So here we go.

In my living room I have my Comcast Cable Modem which plugs into a DLink Router sitting next to it. The Router is not Gigabit. The router feeds internet to 2 things. A DLink Gigabit Switch right next to it and a offbrand switch 100MB in the basement. From the Gigabit switch I have plugged in My HTPC and Server as well as Xbox, ps3, hddvd, and most importantly I have a cable running from the Gigabit switch into a wall jack. The wall jack goes to the other side of the wall where I have plugged a wire into the back of my computer.

Now on the gigabit switch the lights for connections 6(htpc) and 7(server) glow green. But all the other lights glow orange. On the HTPC and the Server if I pull up the network adapter and click status it says 1Gbps connection. But on my Desktop when I pull it up it says 100Mbps. My desktop does have 2 gigabit ports I have tried both of them with the same results.

One thing I am wondering is could it be the wall jack? When I plug it from the Switch into a wall jack is it possible for the to limit my network speed to 100? Does anyone have any other ideas I could try?

One thing I am wondering is could it be the wall jack? When I plug it from the Switch into a wall jack is it possible for the to limit my network speed to 100? Does anyone have any other ideas I could try?

It could be the wall jack... Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) does not need all 4 pairs of wires. IIRC, it only needs 2 pairs actually connected. So, an RJ-45 wall socket could function for 100 Mbps Fast Ethernet but not 1000BASE-T (Gigabit Ethernet)

You could use a network cable tester to diagnose the wall jack(s).

You could alternatively assume it wasn't fully wired if your computer worked when connected to the switch directly with the same ethernet cables.

Maybe try different ethernet cables... strictly, they should be CAT-5e or CAT-6 for Gigabit, but CAT-5 should also work for short distances... however, a faulty cable could cause your problem

I would say that it is the wall jack. Try connecting your computer directly with no wall jack in the way. I just set up my own gigabit network and love it so fast!!!!

A friend of mine recently bought a house, and tried to setup his gigabit switch. While technically it works, he does not get gigabit speeds when utilizing the wall ports that were put in when it was built. I don't remember the details, but the way it was wired is why it limited him to 100mbps speed using his gigabit router.

So yeah, I agree it is probably the wall port.

Another vote for the wall ports.

Sounds like either its not properly wired, or not all pairs are connected. Just run a cable direct between PC & switch and see.