Mychael

Setting up for multi boot.

I have asked this question on a another forum to see what was suggested but opinions vary a lot so looking for a bit more info.

When I get my new bulid up with all new and current hardware I wanted to try to set up for multi boot.. being XP Pro (which I'm currently using) WIN7 64 and Linux Mint 9.

I've done multi boots before but only within various Linux distros and that worked easily enough but never tried with any M/S O/S let alone mixing in Linux as well.

What do people think? Would I get more grief then glory? Win 7 alone will be a learning experience for me as I've not played with it at all as yet and I've heard it can sometimes be a bit temperamental getting it set up initially. Having said that I think if I'm going to set up for multi boot I'd need to do that right at the begining.

If it's viable how should I go about it to give myself the best chance of it being successfull?

Yes, I could just run the one O/S and save myself a lot of grief but enjoy the change now and again.

I am 100% sure that Mint (why 9 as opposed to 10?) will need to go first because of the GRUB boot loader. My laptop dual-boots Ubuntu 10.04 and W7 x64 and I actually had to install 10.04 under Windows to not screw up the booting. The W7 boot loader should manage to load all of what you want to use fine.

Basically, install in this order: Mint 9, XP Pro, W7 x64

I'm fairly sure that both XP and 7 will blow away any bootloaders you have on your machine when you install them (or has 7 fixed this?). I'd install Linux last since it's extremely easy to make grub boot Windows partitions.

I went from Windows XP 32 to Windows 7 64 and haven't looked back really. Windows XP was a very nice OS but Windows 7 has done everything I needed it to do, just let go and give Windows 7 a chance I'm sure you'll love it!

When I first installed Windows 7 it was a breeze, no problems at all and far from temperamental!

I agree with Waco, I would go in the order of WinXP->Win7->Linux.

Grub will see the other two boot partitions and manage everything for you. Win7 might do the same, but I know that GRUB2 will manage it with potentially fewer headaches.

Also if you have a way to boot into a Linux distro in the end (no matter the boot order) you can update the GRUB config file and get the same results.

Plus, I am not certain, but can Win7 even see an ext4 partition to grab the Linux boot?

Jager

EDIT:

paulktreg, I wish I had had your luck when I installed Win7. It was +3 hours of headache as I had to dig through the setuperr.log file during install to figure out why it didn't like my hard drive. Stupid installer couldn't figure out how to partition the drive in order to create the 100MB part at the beginning.....

There really shouldn't be a problem in the first place with installing multiple operating systems but just incase there are problems i would recommend the order of WinXP->Win7->Linux. I am happy to see that someone is still willing to stick with xp, as much as i like it myself i had to change over to win7 for its higher bus speed support for its graphics cards, however all of the benchmarks except one (sorry cant remember which benchmarks these were but using as an example anyway) proved that windows xp is still faster and unless you have at least a dual core processor and 2gb of ram the heavy weight win 7 OS will be a lot slower than xp which is why i like the old lightweight, it will surely be a shame when microsoft pullout support in 2014 for xp. Good look with the multi boot.

Thanks everyone.

1/ I said Mint 9 only because I have not looked in lately and did not know 10 had been released. My last recent Mint was 8.

2/ All on one HDD. Thinking I'll need to set up 3 primary partitions then let the respective O/S do what it needs to do within it's own respective partition, is that sound reasoning?

3/ Will have 4gig of DDR3 ram so 7 when it's working should tick along nicely.

Jumping ahead of myself here a lot but I understand 7 has mirror software in it to make a copy to another HDD? Would I be correct in assuming that it would only mirror itself and not the other 2 O/S's?

Yeah I just like XP, by and large it's been very good to me.

Jumping ahead of myself here a lot but I understand 7 has mirror software in it to make a copy to another HDD? Would I be correct in assuming that it would only mirror itself and not the other 2 O/S's?

I would assume it would copy the hard drives entire image across therefore mirroring the other two operating systems too. Think of it this way, microsoft wouldnt want to be held responsible for data loss, so picking and choosing which data to copy would be out of the question.

2/ All on one HDD. Thinking I'll need to set up 3 primary partitions then let the respective O/S do what it needs to do within it's own respective partition, is that sound reasoning?

You can mirror single partitions or the entire drive, it's up to you.