Sign in to follow this  
malmsteenisgod

Did I break my 4850

I took the heatsink off of my 4850 to clean out all the dust clogging it, and to apply new thermal paste. I know I didn't screw anything up there, but now it won't even post in one computer, it just repeatedly restarts over and over, but in another computer it boots, but the light on the 4850 doesn't flash on power on, the graphics card it isn't detected in gpu-z, and it basically tells me I don't have a graphics card at all. Now what could I possibly have done to screw this thing up?

Edited by malmsteenisgod

I took the heatsink off of my 4850 to clean out all the dust clogging it, and to apply new thermal paste. I know I didn't screw anything up there, but now it won't even post in one computer, it just repeatedly restarts over and over, but in another computer it boots, but the light on the 4850 doesn't flash on power on, the graphics card it isn't detected in gpu-z, and it basically tells me I don't have a graphics card at all. Now what could I possibly have done to screw this thing up?

I know it's obvious, but have you double checked every connection? Does the 4850 need powering by the PSU? Also did you make sure not to introduce the hardware to our good friend static? :P

I know it's obvious, but have you double checked every connection? Does the 4850 need powering by the PSU? Also did you make sure not to introduce the hardware to our good friend static? :P

Yea triple checked all of that, although I was thinking it was probably hit by some static. But I don't know what happened, because I put it back in the first computer I tried, the light flashed on it and it started right up. Very strange indeed, but it works now. I don't know if I'll ever know why it wouldn't boot for the first 20 minutes I was screwing with it.

Yea triple checked all of that, although I was thinking it was probably hit by some static. But I don't know what happened, because I put it back in the first computer I tried, the light flashed on it and it started right up. Very strange indeed, but it works now. I don't know if I'll ever know why it wouldn't boot for the first 20 minutes I was screwing with it.

That's great to hear :D All i can say is that hardware does that. It's almost as if it does have a mind of its own.

i was gona say tim overload but i guess not if its working. sounds like it could have been water on the card and it started working after it evaporated just a guess

This is fairly common. It happens when the card is not seated properly. This can happen even if you install the card properly, sometimes the pins just don't line up perfectly and this results in the card not being recognized properly.

Edited by krazypoloc