Sign in to follow this  
visagepoissons

Which is the better system for my HD setup?

Thinking of getting a couple of new drives seeing as they're pretty damn cheap around here atm.

Thinking of a 1TB WD Caviar Green for general storage of documents, spread sheets, school and work files plus images and videos and using my other HDD for my Music and Photoshop/Max files (Artwork and 3D Modelling) and then, on top of that, getting a very small SSD (Possibly the Kingston 2.5" 32GB V-SERIES Solid State Drive SATA2 (SSD) atm) to put Windows 7 and my STEAM/Other Games and Linux on that.

Now, would that sort of setup work with the two OSs (And Steam + Games) work on the SSD? I wouldn't have any issues putting the two on seperate partitions? Or it would it be safer to get two even smaller SSDs for that and maybe even just bite the bullet and stick my games on the HDD?

Another question is whether to get the Caviar Green or get a Caviar Black instead? My current HDD is a 1TB Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/pc-peripherals/hard-disk-drive/35-sata-hdd/HD103UJ/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=feature

Is that faster or slower then the Caviar Green/Black? I'm pretty sure the Black is faster then it, but what about the Green? If the Green is faster then it I might instead get the Caviar Black (for double the price nearly D= ) and put my Music/Photoshop/Max files on that and other files on the HDD I already have. But then maybe the performance advantage of the Black isn't worth the price premium over the Green. :/ in which case I'll stick with the original plan but swap the the Music etc. to the green and the Documents to the Samsung.

THAT CONFUSING ENOUGH FOR YOU? =D

Edited by visagepoissons

Stick with the Samsung, there'd be little to no benefit in getting one of the other mentioned drives (not counting the SSD)

At 32GB I don't think you would have barely enough for Win7+games; much less a Linux install with any more room than perhaps 2GB.

My fresh install of Win7 takes up 20GB alone.

If you want to go with such a small SDD I would just install your OS's to it, Stick STEAM and games onto the HDD.

For drive comparison, don't know if you have seen this before: http://www.storagereview.com/php/benchmark/bench_sort.php

Jager

First of all, on Newegg, the 64GB version of the Kingston SSD is seven dollars more than the 30GB version after mail-in rebate (Here, look at the first and third items). Stick with the mechanical hard drive you already have, even if there is a performance increase between that and the Caviar Black you wont notice it. With the extra money, you can buy two of the 64GB SSD's and put them in RAID0 for speeds you've never seen before, or you can buy a single 128GB SSD. That way you have space for your games and both OS's. Music streaming off a mechanical hard drive sounds the same as music streaming from an SSD :D