Zune Slows PC

tkrow21

Really?

If you even watched the video you would see I go over that, a multiple amount of times.

Zune thrashes the . out of your I/O subsystem on startup especially if you have a large library or network connected shares being monitored. If you watch drive activity I'd bet good money you see it skyrocket with a TON of separate processes trying to access your hard drives.

It's really just that crappy. :mellow:

Edited by Waco

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zune thrashes the . out of your I/O subsystem on startup especially if you have a large library or network connected shares being monitored. If you watch drive activity I'd bet good money you see it skyrocket with a TON of separate processes trying to access your hard drives.

It only happens during downloading music and doesn't stop until it's done. Do you know how I might be able to monitor drive activity? It's getting a bit frustrating for the following reasons.

There is no explanation for the slowdown. Processor and memory usage are virtually unaffected by the Zune Software.

The slowdown only occurs during downloads, which makes even less sense as the slowdown I'm getting isn't related to the speed of my network.

My brother's 1.6GHZ netbook has no problems with the software.

This happened out of nowhere and a reinstall of the software did nothing.

It isn't a documented issue whatsoever, so chances of getting help from someone who's encountered the problem are nil.

I have no idea how to go about finding the source of the problem.

I can only download one album at a time, by hitting download and going to sleep. It's usually done (since it keeps freezing on and off) when I wake up.

bump

This definitely could be it since I recently bought a 1.5TB hard drive to upgrade from my 250GB - but I have no idea how to check for thrashing or how to even monitor hard drive usage.

bump

This definitely could be it since I recently bought a 1.5TB hard drive to upgrade from my 250GB - but I have no idea how to check for thrashing or how to even monitor hard drive usage.

Vista has a built in monitor called "Reliability and Performance Monitor" in Advanced Tools in Performance Information and Tools. Otherwise there are a few tools if you do some googleing

I looked up how to monitor my hard drive usage, well, actually my I/O subsystem usage, but that's what the hard drive is under, and Zune.exe was nowhere near the top of the list, which means it isn't a problem with the hard drive.

Just to be extra sure I installed Zune on my external hard drive and still had the same identical slowdown.

Also my hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 hard drive with 32mb cache. It is 1.5TB. It recently replaced a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 hard drive with 16mb cache which had 250GB. The Zune software worked fine on both hard drives and only randomly stopped working fine on the 27th of August.

How big is your library? BluePanda has a ~80 GB library and it slows her machine down quite a bit for about 60 seconds after the software starts up...haven't tried downloading anything through the software recently but last I checked it didn't slow down dramatically when downloading podcasts. It could be a new problem - I'll see if I can get her to grab a few new podcasts and see if it does the same thing.

Just under 2GB. Normally it is a lot larger but I had just started reorganizing my music library.

Also, I have a new problem. Taken from my post on the Zune forum:

"I also figured that I could reinstall again just to make sure, when I got this message:

The latest version of the Zune Software is already installed on this computer. No update is available."

Edited by tkrow21

Found a bunch of Zune files (drivers, etc), and already cleaned registry, but I cannot delete these files.

It says I need permission, but I cannot edit permissions.

Have you tried safe mode?

Have you tried safe mode?

Just now, and still could not delete or edit permissions.

Thinking about giving up.

Since the Zune Software is needed to get all the advertised features of my Zune HD, since it is non functional would I be able to get a refund under warranty? I'm thinking about just buying another media player.

Edited by tkrow21