Sign in to follow this  
WarWeeny

ati 4850 problem... help?

ok here is the thing i got a second handed ati 4850 toxic from saphire for a steal price but as some say it is sometimes to good to be true.

first off my pc specs:

p5qpl-am mobo

pentium E5200 @ 3.3 ghz

4gb ram

ati 4850 toxic stock

huntkey psu 450 watt

and i am having troubles when the card is under stress levels aka furmark or a game that is graphic intesive aka crysis or resident evil 5.

when i am playing more then lets say 10 minutes the screen goes either black and i need to restart my comp or the screen gets full of garbage and i still need to restart my comp.

now i am asking you pc gods to help me in my quest for the answer for this problem. the card is also getting quite hot @ 90 decree maybe that is the problem?

i myself have the feeling i got a crappie psu and that thats the reason but i am also doubting that the card is just broken and i need to search his sorry butt and get my money back.`

thanks in advance :)

Edited by WarWeeny

ok here is the thing i got a second handed ati 4850 toxic from saphire for a steal price but as some say it is sometimes to good to be true.

first off my pc specs:

p5qpl-am mobo

pentium E5200 @ 3.3 ghz

4gb ram

ati 4850 toxic stock

huntech psu 450 watt

and i am having troubles when the card is under stress levels aka furmark or a game that is graphic intesive aka crysis or resident evil 5.

when i am playing more then lets say 10 minutes the screen goes either black and i need to restart my comp or the screen gets full of garbage and i still need to restart my comp.

now i am asking you pc gods to help me in my quest for the answer for this problem. the card is also getting quite hot @ 90 decree maybe that is the problem?

i myself have the feeling i got a crappie psu and that thats the reason but i am also doubting that the card is just broken and i need to search his sorry butt and get my money back.`

thanks in advance :)

While the Core is at 90C, The VRM's are probably running 120. Try cranking your fan to 100% and seeing if it does it still.

While the Core is at 90C, The VRM's are probably running 120. Try cranking your fan to 100% and seeing if it does it still.

if i crack it up to 100% it doesnt make anymore noice so i dont know if it is actually working or not i already have it go to 100% and it still gives me problems....

thanks for the reply :)

if i crack it up to 100% it doesnt make anymore noice so i dont know if it is actually working or not i already have it go to 100% and it still gives me problems....

thanks for the reply :)

Wow, thats sort of weird haha... In GPU-Z do you have any VDDC temperatures?

I don't have this specific card per se, but i do own a 4850 and can tell you that the temps are way too hot! They should be running in the mid to lower 50C on idle and 70C max @60% fan speed. You should notice quite an audible difference going from 30% to 60% fan speed. I would say that if you don't notice a difference, then you fan may be bad. Another idea, depending no how old the card is, is that the thermal paste is bad on the GPU. I recently had to take apart both my 4850's to clean and reapply fresh thermal paste. The stuff I removed was factory, dry, and cracked (not doing a bit of good imo). I would test those two things first if it we me.