Sony Considers Charging for Used Games that Play Online

WhenKittensATK

Summary:

Publishers don't like the used game market. They get no money from it.

EA Sports was the first to setup such a plan. Anyone who wants to play online with an "used EA Sports game" they have to pay $10 for an online pass. All EA Sports games come with a 7 day free trial (rental protection).

I hope Sony and everyone else doesn't follow suit after EA Sports.

Edited by Krazyxazn

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Summary:

Publishers don't like the used game market. They get no money from it.

EA Sports was the first to setup such a plan. Anyone who wants to play online with an "used EA Sports game" they have to pay $10 for an online pass. All EA Sports games come with a 7 day free trial (rental protection).

I hope Sony and everyone else doesn't follow suit after EA Sports.

This would certainly suck for console gamers, and I hope for console gamers sake that it doesn't because PC gamers hate not being able to buy used games most of the time, but in retrospect my PC side is also kind of screaming "It's about damn time this happened" :rolleyes:

my PC side is also kind of screaming "It's about damn time this happened" :rolleyes:

:withstupid:

I can't say I'm surprised about this kind of thing. Buying used console games is the same as piracy on the PC to developers and publishers, they get no money either way but the player still get's their game.

I'm happy, if I'm buying a game, it's because it's a good game, and I want the people who made such an awesome game and provided me with hours and hours of entertainment to get my money.

Gaming is already one of the cheapest forms of entertainment there is. A good multiplayer game lasts you for thousands of hours, and are $60 or less. Movies are two hours of fun, and cost $10.

:withstupid:

I can't say I'm surprised about this kind of thing. Buying used console games is the same as piracy on the PC to developers and publishers, they get no money either way but the player still get's their game.

Wow Wow Wow !

What the heck are you talking about.

Thats like me buying a bowl and using it for five months and then me selling it to my friend and the bowl company being upset that they did not get anything for the second transaction

We buy,

We use,

We sell when we are done with it.

Once again, What the heck are you taking about ?

Wow Wow Wow !

What the heck are you talking about.

Thats like me buying a bowl and using it for five months and then me selling it to my friend and the bowl company being upset that they did not get anything for the second transaction

We buy,

We use,

We sell when we are done with it.

Once again, What the heck are you taking about ?

You have to see it from the developers and publishers perspectives. Imagine you developed a game and sold 10 copies and then everyone just went around reselling those 10 copies for half the price, wouldn't you be a little upset? I know that example is unrealistic by the number but the point is that their goal is to sell as many copies as possible and things like used games or piracy potentially cut into their profits.

Now as for my own personal view on this matter, I could care less about whether they make a profit or not because most console games will sell hundreds of thousands anyway, if not millions, so I say keep used games the way they are but my opinion doesn't really matter to these companies.

I am happy, and I OWN a PS3. I usually dont buy games for the ps3, and if I do, I will buy them new, as that supports a developer.

Deathmineral made an excellent point. What is the difference between these two for the developer:

-Downloading a game from piratebay

-Buying an used game from gamestop

None.

Edited by Jump4h

:withstupid: its like ford demanding $100 everytime a falcon gets sold second hand (private not dealership sales).

Deathmineral made an excellent point. What is the difference between these two for the developer:

-Downloading a game from piratebay

-Buying an used game from gamestop

None.

i've got one: One is legal and the developer gets nothing. the other is illegal and the developer can sue and get a @#$^ load.

IMO developers charging second hand games for online play is corporate greed and its wrong. i'd never pay for it. I understand the developers need profit to keep publishing games but the more they try to maximise short run profits the more it hurts the long term sustainability of their firms.

another thing. some second retailers here rip off consumers. you can buy a brand new copy of RDR for $110AUD or a second hand one for $100 or $105 ($90 if ur lucky). So if i bought it second hand plus $10 (more like $20 after exchange rates) for online play i'll have spent more than buying it new. Also, what if the game is old like Madden 05. you're telling me that the additional $10 for multiplayer is worth it? it would also be the same cost as the game

Edited by bilcliff

The EA Sports passes are probably only for their newer games released after the plan was put into action, because they are suppose to come with a redeemable code in the box. So it works like a CD Key. You need a valid CD Key to play online. I don't ever buy EA Sports games so this doesn't bother me.

However if Sony does this it's definitely going to bother me, since it effects all games or at least their in-house games. Especially since I just bought an used copy of MAG. Most of the people I know buy them new, including myself. However charging overheard to someone when you're selling them a used product is just dumb.

Edited by Krazyxazn