AMD build help

camaro_dude15

i am new to overclockers club and having a pc built for me, (i dont feel like i'm ready to build one myself) I have already decided i want the latest six core black edition phenom II and would like some input on possible set ups for a killer multi porpose pc, ie; gaming, folding and school work. open to any and all suggestions

Thanks!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anybody have any suggestions for a videocard im on a budget and i dont want to spend more than 175-200 on a video card, the pc that this build is replacing has three monitors but i could live with two to save some money, im not all that into newer games so it doesnt have to top of the line or anything i prefer console gaming for the latest games

how big of a power supply would i need with 2 460's or 465's, also what size of ssd just for booting windows 7, memory? i need sugestions, the guy i am ordering this pc from is just interested in sales, he told me i needed a 1200 watt psu and 600 dollars worth the memory

first of all, a multi porpose

dolphins-bottlenose.jpg

i just built a computer with the asus m4a89gtd pro, and i really like it alot, i recommend it

a ssd is a must

That's a Porpoise you numpty and they look like Dolphins! ;)

how big of a power supply would i need with 2 460's or 465's, also what size of ssd just for booting windows 7, memory? i need sugestions, the guy i am ordering this pc from is just interested in sales, he told me i needed a 1200 watt psu and 600 dollars worth the memory

Don't skimp on the power supply and go for a good quality branded unit. A 650W unit will suffice but as previously posted a 750W will give you a little headroom and be more suitable when you get your two GTX 460's folding for prolonged periods. ;) Just got one myself and plan to get another, giving 8500~9000 PPD.

I'd go for a 60GB SSD for Windows and a 640GB~1TB HDD for data storage with 4GB of memory to start but it really depends on the PC's main use.

That's a porpoise you numpty! ;)

Don't skimp on the power supply and go for a good quality branded unit. A 650W unit will suffice but as previously posted a 750W will give you a little headroom and be more suitable when you get your two GTX 460's folding for prolonged periods. ;) Just got one myself and plan to get another, giving 8500~9000 PPD.

I'd go for a 60GB SSD for Windows and a 640GB~1TB HDD for data storage with 4GB of memory to start but it really depends on the PC's main use.

well i mostly intend on folding but not to much on the gpu as i am a folding noob, but hey every little bit counts, mostly i want to watch movies, play a couple games and what not, the business that is building this for me apparently makes quite a bit just on sales becuase they where trying to sell me 16 gbs of ram and 4 2tb hdds and a couple 4870's, but i want to stick with this business becuase the salesman don't actually build the pc and i like to support local business

well i mostly intend on folding but not to much on the gpu as i am a folding noob, but hey every little bit counts, mostly i want to watch movies, play a couple games and what not, the business that is building this for me apparently makes quite a bit just on sales becuase they where trying to sell me 16 gbs of ram and 4 2tb hdds and a couple 4870's, but i want to stick with this business becuase the salesman don't actually build the pc and i like to support local business

Folding on a GPU, Nvidia rather than ATI, is relatively easy and far more productive!

Why do you want a six core because you won't fully utilise it from what you are saying. Tell us, the community, how much you want to spend and I'm sure you'll get some sound advice. A Phenom II Quad Core is probably all you'll need with 4GB of memory, 8GB at the most and definately not 16GB, you just won't use it. Four 2TB HDD is just over the top and I'm sure a 1TB will do you for some time and you can always stick another in sometime in the future should you need it. If what you say is true they think you know very little about computing and they are offering far more than you need. If you are serious about folding then I'd go for Phenom II Quad Core with Nvidia GTX 460 graphics card(s) but that's just me.