1st build - input appreciated...

gmonroe2

Hi,

really appreciate the site. tons of useful info!

i'm no hardware expert and REALLY would appreciate critique/advice on this....just want to make sure i've got the ducks in a row before starting to buy all this stuff.

i'm a programmer and the co i worked for got bought and that didn't go so well. now i'm an independent contractor & i'm also a part time youth pastor, which means i will often have a couple of adobe products (video/photo editing, etc) open as well as vs2010 and sql mgt studio open along with 10-12 browser tabs, excel, outlook, music, etc...

i'm trying to build a really good desktop that will be fast enough for all that plus a little gaming (of course i want to overclock it...)

$$ is sort of an issue so i'm going to have to do the build over a little time...

motherboard: GA-X58A-UD3R - mobo

cpu: i7-930 - cpu

video card: asus geforce gt 240 1gb - video

memory: g.skill 6 gb 1600 - ram

hdd: seagate barracuda 1.5tb 7200 rpm - drive

psu: ocz modxstreampro 500w - psu

case: antec df-35 - case

questions:

1. any blaring compatibility problems?

2. is the psu too small? / ok brand?

3. anywhere here i could go cheap for now and upgrade later without having to jump through tons of hoops...

4. any input on what i should do different?

5. anything else...

i really appreciate any thoughts/help. thanks!

thanks for your help!

you should go AMD, bro

that intel platform is costing you a premium

you could do 1156 platform and save some if you really wanted to stick with intel

also with AMD you can get an onboard IGP until you can save up some for a better GPU, a 240 is a bad buy unless its almost free

(this one here is almost free but sale ends soon)

you might consider half your memory now, then double it later when you get funds

Have you considered the AMD route? Something like the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.2GHz, it's a very capable processor and with a suitable motherboard and 4GB of ram would allow you to spend a little extra on a better quality graphics card and power supply? What is your maximum budget?

thanks for replying...

honestly, i have avoided looking @ amd because my current lappy is an amd and i always blame performance problems on the processor, but i don't think there is any real problem w/ the amd processor.

you guys are probably right.... there's no real reason to go intel if performance is comparable....

if possible, i'd like to keep it around 700... if i go much over that i'll need to buy some now & some in a few weeks. I'm willing to wait if needed (provided my lappy doesn't crapout)...

on newegg, my cart was about $1,100 which i'd rather not spend right now....

so w/ the phenom II x4 965 black... which mobo would you get?

Welcome GMonroe, You will get the help you need here for sure.

Your first selections for a build are priced a bit higher than the budget you are claiming in later posts here. For your described needs a Lesser System will still be overkill. I think the absolute lowest pricing and probably the BEST " Bang-for-the-Buck" system is an AMD right now. Alot of times the problems you are describing in your current system are the result of lack of maintenance in the form of Cleaning out Temp Files, Cookies, and cleaning up unused Registry Keys as well as getting rid of extemporanious programs that "piggyback" themselves onto downloads you might pick up thru various websites.

CCleaner is one of my favs., to get rid of said problems..... a defrag might help out too. Anyways since you are a Software Geek... oops sorry keke, I am probably preaching to the choir anyways. Good Luck.

Edit: Oh Nothing wrong with fry's for alot of electronics but you can still do alot better with ONLINE PRICING at various websellers such as Newegg.com or tigerdirect.com etc.

Edited by Kwok

Welcome GMonroe, You will get the help you need here for sure.

Your first selections for a build are priced a bit higher than the budget you are claiming in later posts here. For your described needs a Lesser System will still be overkill. I think the absolute lowest pricing and probably the BEST " Bang-for-the-Buck" system is an AMD right now. Alot of times the problems you are describing in your current system are the result of lack of maintenance in the form of Cleaning out Temp Files, Cookies, and cleaning up unused Registry Keys as well as getting rid of extemporanious programs that "piggyback" themselves onto downloads you might pick up thru various websites.

CCleaner is one of my favs., to get rid of said problems..... a defrag might help out too. Anyways since you are a Software Geek... oops sorry keke, I am probably preaching to the choir anyways. Good Luck.

Edit: Oh Nothing wrong with fry's for alot of electronics but you can still do alot better with ONLINE PRICING at various websellers such as Newegg.com or tigerdirect.com etc.

thanks for the reply...

ha! yeah the machine i spec'd in the 1st thread is a little more than i'm really wanting to spend. i keep my machine pretty clean (defrag, clean registry, extraneous programs, etc...) drive isn't huge so i have to keep it cleaned up. CCleaner is one of my favorites as well. i think my problems are related to graphics & just the general age of my machine. it's almost 4 yrs old....

i don't pc game much because my crappy lappy won't support it, but i'm probably going to get back into it....(bored w/ xbox).

I usually put a Rig together at Newegg and save it to "Wishlist" then I go out and shop the parts at other websites. If i can pick up a few parts cheaper somewhere else, thats what happens. Good Luck with your new project.

I usually put a Rig together at Newegg and save it to "Wishlist" then I go out and shop the parts at other websites. If i can pick up a few parts cheaper somewhere else, thats what happens. Good Luck with your new project.

that's what i'm doing as well... if forgot that i have a good friend who might be able to get me an intel processor a little cheaper than i can get it anywhere else. what are friendships for if not to abuse? :)

Here's a power supply calculator for you to use to determine your power requirements: http://support.asus....ator_right.aspx

Once you've figured out what you need I recommend going up to the next-larger unit. That way you're not pushing your PSU to its limits when you're driving your GPU to its limits. whistling.gif

Here's to a fun build!