8600gt enough for PhysX

Nyt

the gt240 is the same as a 9600gt.....as well as the GTS250 is the same as a 9800GTX+

the 240 and 250 just run cooler than their older brethren...

actually you could even go as far as saying an 8800GTS 512MB is the same as a GTS 250 (except 65nm)

only because they aren't much more than 8600/9600s but if his is free than I dont see why he shouldnt try it and see if he NEEDS anything better :P

I don't think people realize how pathetic the 8600GT's performance is. Hopefully this will work out for the OP though.

I dont think resolution affects physx performance, since all it does is mathematical calculations that should be the same regardless of resolution.

Dont have a source or data to back this up, but ill be doing some testing on fluidmark at various resolutions and post back with the results.

Hmmm...interesting. I would love to see OCC do a "Best Dedicated Physx card roundup" to put these theories to the test.

That's absolutely correct - PhysX performance isn't governed by resolution - the same math is done at 640x480 and 2560x1600.

Thats good to know. It would make sense that the increased resolution does not increase the amount of objects to be calculated. However an increase in the detail setting would though.

I dont know how well it performes with physx,but i got to a cafe in my area and they use this gpu,the only game that works smooth is most wanted and fifa 09 ,warcraft frozen,cs,etc all low graphics games,i tried playing crysis it was laggin like hell even dx9 at lowest res and details,but then they got 9600GSO,these cards wer like almost 2 times powerful than the 8600gt,crysis was playable.

I had an XFX 8600gt once.At low(and i mean low) resolutions,you could get away with medium details with no AA or AF and get somewhat decent framerates,but i have to say i would really avoid any type of 8600/gts.Just spend a bit extra for the Gt240 or even a 9800gt and be done with it.

I had an XFX 8600gt once.At low(and i mean low) resolutions,you could get away with medium details with no AA or AF and get somewhat decent framerates,but i have to say i would really avoid any type of 8600/gts.Just spend a bit extra for the Gt240 or even a 9800gt and be done with it.

It's free!! lol he already has it! :lol: