Nyt

8600gt enough for PhysX

Hi

Im looking into getting a card for dedicated PhysX . I have the Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler lying around not being used since I got the H50 and my friend who has just gotten a new graphics card wants the V8 to cool his cpu . So he wants to swop his old ASUS 8600T 512mb card for my V8 .

Would the 8600 gt be enough ? I dont expect it to run PhysX on high but medium would be fine

Hi

Im looking into getting a card for dedicated PhysX . I have the Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler lying around not being used since I got the H50 and my friend who has just gotten a new graphics card wants the V8 to cool his cpu . So he wants to swop his old ASUS 8600T 512mb card for my V8 .

Would the 8600 gt be enough ? I dont expect it to run PhysX on high but medium would be fine

I would guess it would depending on what resolution you run at. Its not going to cut the mustard at 1080p. Those cards are really, really weak even when compared to an 8800 or 9600.

I thought that a 8600 is like a 9600 gt and the 240gt is like a 9600gtx . I'll be gaming at 1080 but when there is a nvidia card , nvidia allows the cpu to do physx aswell so my 6 core can also be helping it.

No. From what I have seen the 8600gts is a little more then half the performance of a 9600gt. The 8600gt would be less than half. I have owned all 3 at the same time. :)

Edited by krazypoloc

Oh ,well since its nearly free , I'll save cash and could get the gt240 later on if the 8600 doesnt perform well

Oh ,well since its nearly free , I'll save cash and could get the gt240 later on if the 8600 doesnt perform well

Then why did you ask? :P

I want to know your guys opinions if the 8600gt would be enough for a PhysX card.

Most of the time people recommend a gt240 or 8800gt for a PhysX.

only because they aren't much more than 8600/9600s but if his is free than I dont see why he shouldnt try it and see if he NEEDS anything better :P

I would guess it would depending on what resolution you run at. Its not going to cut the mustard at 1080p. Those cards are really, really weak even when compared to an 8800 or 9600.

I dont think resolution affects physx performance, since all it does is mathematical calculations that should be the same regardless of resolution.

Dont have a source or data to back this up, but ill be doing some testing on fluidmark at various resolutions and post back with the results.

I dont think resolution affects physx performance, since all it does is mathematical calculations that should be the same regardless of resolution.

Dont have a source or data to back this up, but ill be doing some testing on fluidmark at various resolutions and post back with the results.

That's absolutely correct - PhysX performance isn't governed by resolution - the same math is done at 640x480 and 2560x1600.