E8400 + EP45T-DS3R + 1333 RAM voltage config

Ignoramous

Hi All;

As I am obviously a newbie here, I need help about the recommended voltage config using 425 FSB and 8 multiplier? also for such config do I need to alter the RAM timing? my system specs are as below:

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45T-DS3R

Processor Intel E8400

CPU Cooler Scythe Mugen 2

Memory 2 X 2G - 1333 PC3-10700

Graphics Nvidia 9800 GX2

Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W

Monitor Alienware OptX AW2310

Thanks in advanced

Start at 1.25v cpu voltage.

3.4Ghz is a walk in the park for an E8400.

You may need to up your northbridge voltage a bit, but really you're not shooting for a huge overclock (from 3.0Ghz stock to 3.4Ghz). Like I said, it should be easy.

If you can run 3.4Ghz stable at 1.25v then I'd try reducing the vcore even a little lower and retest for stability.

Keep us posted.

I've got your cpu voltage pretty conservative actually. I've seen E8400s up to 4.0Ghz at 1.38 to 1.40v :)

But cooling efficiency and heat start to become an issue, and I'm assuming that you want your processor to last a while........

sounds about right. I've got an E8400 running at 3.6 (400x9) at 1.280v. The 1.280 is from Auto so I could probably get it lower than that.

Edited by viperk1

To wevsspot;

Yes I pretty much like the CPU to last as long as possible ;) and currently the weather here is crazy hot, so I want to play it safe. by the way with FSB 425X8, MCH at 333, RAM Multiplier at 3.20B = 1360, RAM at 1.5v and CPU started at 1.25 and lowering step by step. I will let you know as soon as I get to the lowest possible.

To viperk1;

I noticed you are using lower FSB and max Multipliers. which one is more efficient, leveling up the FSB or the multiplier? I would like to know if I am going the right way.

Thanks to all

From my perspective there isn't any point in trying to go lower. At some break point you will start experiencing instability because of excessively low vcore.

I know you said that it passes Orthos, but you might consider throwing in a 2 hour run of OCCT or LinX which will really put the hurt on your system. You should also throw in a graphics test like 3DMark or something along those lines just to be sure. Or alternatively you could spend a few hours gaming and make sure it doesn't crash.

Good results by the way.

Regards,