what would be a good upgrade

I have 200 dollars to spend on an upgrade. My current CPU is Intel core 2 due e6600 right and AT Radeon 4770.

1) I could get a socket 775 cpu for $200

2) A new motherboard and a core i3/i5 CPU

3) A new graphic cards

I was leaning more towards option number 1. I tried to check tomshardware for charts to compare 775 cpu's and core i3/i5's but the charts are different and I'm having a hard time comparing. What would you guys suggest? Thanks in advance.

I have 200 dollars to spend on an upgrade. My current CPU is Intel core 2 due e6600 right and AT Radeon 4770.

1) I could get a socket 775 cpu for $200

2) A new motherboard and a core i3/i5 CPU

3) A new graphic cards

I was leaning more towards option number 1. I tried to check tomshardware for charts to compare 775 cpu's and core i3/i5's but the charts are different and I'm having a hard time comparing. What would you guys suggest? Thanks in advance.

I'd probably hang on and save a little more. The 775 is end of life now and you haven't really enough money to make a substantial jump in performance in the i3/i5 arena.

A Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition 3.2GHz and a decent motherboard would set you back about $200.00 but you need a little extra for some DDR3 memory. If you can get $300 together you could put together quite a nice system but it would mean using your 4770 until you can replace it. Can your power supply handle a major upgrade in the graphics card department?

The E8500 is within your budget but will it really benefit you?

What do you mainly use your PC for?

would get a card,with the 200$ like a GTX 460 1 gig ,and get a cpu mobo updrage later when u have the cash.Dont invest in the 775.

+1. If gaming is what you use it for thats the best bang for buck IMO.

I dual box world of warcraft from time to time. I play other games like Starcraft 2, and L4D2.

I'd probably hang on and save a little more. The 775 is end of life now and you haven't really enough money to make a substantial jump in performance in the i3/i5 arena.

A Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition 3.2GHz and a decent motherboard would set you back about $200.00 but you need a little extra for some DDR3 memory. If you can get $300 together you could put together quite a nice system but it would mean using your 4770 until you can replace it. Can your power supply handle a major upgrade in the graphics card department?

The E8500 is within your budget but will it really benefit you?

What do you mainly use your PC for?

I was actually thinking of a CPU upgrade initially. Gaming mostly. Light coding, and matlab related work for my classes.

would get a card,with the 200$ like a GTX 460 1 gig ,and get a cpu mobo updrage later when u have the cash.Dont invest in the 775.

+1. If gaming is what you use it for thats the best bang for buck IMO.

Only the graphics card is worth it

Hehe, three for graphic cards? I checked some of the gaming charts on tomshardware, and I noticed a Crossfire 4770 gives about the same performance as a 460. Picking one up at ebay might be a better option for me in that case.

for $200... would go with a graphics card.

but that depends on the rest of the system.

what does the system currently consist of?

I posted the cpu and graphic card at the first post. 2gb ram.

Edited by pie