Should I attempt to build my new computer?

Exile

I hope I don't have any doa.

How common is it?

I've bought a lot of stuff and only had DOA memory and a video card where the fan would not spin. But I've bought 6 video cards in all, and the DOA one was most likely open box since it was in stock for only a few days and a very old model at a low price. However, I have found that manufacturers in general are very friendly to you and want to keep you as a customer, as I have had no problem with RMA's.

Exile,, what everyone else said. Let me add that I attemped my first build over a decade ago with some assistance from a Hardware Website. It went very well. Your Friend, $100, 3 or 4 days......not neccesary. You will Learn More by doing it yourself and you will have a large sense of accomplishment when done. The overclocking doesnt have to happen right away and you will then again have alot to look forward to and enough assistance on the boards to eventually get it done yourself.

My two-cents.

Doh i just read thru all the posts here.... WELL DONE MAN!!

Edited by Kwok

As of now, I am just waiting on my SATA OD and 128 SSD.

Can I add more SSD later and run them in "RAID 0" for more speeD?

Thanks!

Yes. Its tricky to pull off though. When it comes time ask and I'll walk you through it :)

WOOOHOOO....

It feels good! It booted on the first try!

I installed my SSD(I just pushed it into the socked, nothing is holding it down.... <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< It does not come with screws as it is ment for a laptop, where can I get the screws that will work?)

And presto, it is running.

Amazing boot speed from the SSD.

I have 1 problem, when I click on my computer, it only shows 1 storage drive. My SSD, then I have to right click it and check and hit properties, then it lists both of my drives. (why does it just not list them both?)

(it will not let me save anything to my HDD.

Edited by Exile

I have 1 problem, when I click on my computer, it only shows 1 storage drive. My SSD, then I have to right click it and check and hit properties, then it lists both of my drives. (why does it just not list them both?)

(it will not let me save anything to my HDD.

You need to go to disk management and format the drive.

Sorry, I have another question.

why does CPUZ only show that my computer is running @ 1609

if you put a load on the CPU it should go up.

I took out my HDD, and tried to boot my computer, it will not boot(it says I need to insert a OS, then I plug my HDD back in, it boots fine).

I think my computer saved some stuff of my HDD.

How can I wipe my HDD, and reload windows with just my SSD in?

I took out my HDD, and tried to boot my computer, it will not boot(it says I need to insert a OS, then I plug my HDD back in, it boots fine).

I think my computer saved some stuff of my HDD.

How can I wipe my HDD, and reload windows with just my SSD in?

Update.

I just tried to erase my ssd/hhd(by using the windoes disk), for some reson the windows only let me erase something off of my HDD, and now it will not let me even reformat my drives, or even reload windows.

Will have have to send back my SSD, and HDD?

It says Drive 0 Unallocated space, cannot load windows. (SSD)

then it says Drive 1 Unallocated space, cannot load windows. (HDD.)

I think I need to order a new HDD / SSD. (this time I will load windows, then install my HDD.)

Edited by Exile

First of all, congrats and welcome to the club of people who realize how easy it is to build computers and cant believe they ever let someone do it for them before!! :D

Second of all, you dont need to buy anything new. Not at this point anyways... you just need to troubleshoot, and thats what this forum is here for :) So lets get started.

Question number one is, did you plug your SSD into the white plugs on the motherboard, or the blue ones? The white ones are your SATA 3 ports, and require drivers. They will act funny if you dont have them, and thats what it sounds like is happening to you. Ensure you plug the SSD into a blue port on the motherboard (the SATA 2 port) and leave your mechanical HDD out. Then boot into the BIOS and ensure that the boot priority goes 1. CD ROM, 2. Hard Drive. After that, go to the next option down that says something to the effect of "Hard Drive Priority" and ensure that no matter what is in that list, your SSD is at the top.

Try booting without the Windows CD in, you might get lucky and get back to your old installation. If not, then try installing Windows again with the mechanical hard drive physically unplugged from both the power and SATA cables. If you ever get an option to "Repair" say no thanks. Delete your old partitions, create a new one, and install fresh.

If that all works, and hopefully it will, install all your Windows updates first, THEN try plugging in your mechanical hard drive again. You will probably need to go to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Disk Management, where you will see a basic hard drive partition manager. A window should pop up saying that one of your drives hasnt been initialized, would you like to initialize it now? Say yes, and then find the disk in the graphical list at the bottom of the original window. Right click it and Create a New Partition. Un-check where it says "Perform a Quick Format" and let it sit for a couple hours while it zeros out your entire drive. Once its done, you should have a fresh drive with nothing at all on it, and your computer will be ready to rumble!

Give all that a try, and we can keep trouble shooting here in this thread if you need. Good luck!