Should I attempt to build my new computer?

Exile

I have installed in the passed, a heatsink, graphic card, optic drives, and a PSU.

I have a guy that is willing to set install everything / over clock my computer to 4.0ghz, for 100$, said it will take 3-4days. (WELL worth it to me.)

But I have always wanted to know how it would be in build a computer from the floor up.

I don't really understand how to overclock, people have tried to explain it to me over and over again, and I just don't get it! (I only got passed algebra I, I have always sucked with math)

Here is everything.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115225 CPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614 MoBo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181011 Cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231225 DDR3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754 OS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284 HDD

GTX 280, I got this like two years ago for 450$. (lol) GFX card (I am going to keep it as I can still run any game on max settings.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139001&cm_re=obsidian_corsaird-_-11-139-001-_-Product Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006&Tpk=corsair%20750 PSU

I am also thinking about a SSD for my OS, and to use the HDD for everything else.

Should I attempt it? or let a pro do it?

Edited by Exile

do you have any friends that know about computers? it definetly helped me on my first build. if not im sure there are guides or youtube vids to show you the basics. even if you cant find a guide its very easy. I say do it yourself and save the money, and overclocking is a journey not a destination XD

sweet build btw

Edited by Shadowtroop

do you have any friends that know about computers? it definetly helped me on my first build. if not im sure there are guides or youtube vids to show you the basics. even if you cant find a guide its very easy. I say do it yourself and save the money, and overclocking is a journey not a destination XD

sweet build btw

Thanks for the reply.

I will consider it.

I will also be watching vids on YouTube.

Absolutely do it yourself. A hundred dollars is another SSD or two games. It really is pathetically simple, and a common sentiment among people I know is "if only people really knew how easy this was."

The overclocking part is another story though. However, unless you're crunched for time, its another thing you can do yourself. I have the same mobo as you, and its really a very simple process once you get your hands onto your system.

And hey, why not anyways... if it doesnt work, just call the guy and pay him to do it later. You have nothing to lose :D

Crazy_Nate has a post that is pinned that is a great how to guide w/ lots of pictures. Just keep in mind, always touch the case before any parts and try and keep your oily figures away from and connectors. I agree it really is very simple process, but also very fun and at the end, you can say, "I built that."

Do it you self, have fun, learn some thing and save some cash. thumbsup3.gif

Edited by Ryu Hayabusa

the hardest thing about building your computer is diagnosing problems when a computer does not startup or work properly

DOA items are a reality that frustrate many people

the second hardest thing is to understand static shock and how it will break your computer just by touching it, so get a wrist band and dont work on carpets and turn the AC on

and the last thing to understand is watch a video on how to apply CPU thermalpaste on youtube

if you can handle the above you can build your own computer

now paying a dude 100$?

if he is someone you know locally, sure, dont send off your stuff to some random dude on the internet

the hardest thing about building your computer is diagnosing problems when a computer does not startup or work properly

DOA items are a reality that frustrate many people

the second hardest thing is to understand static shock and how it will break your computer just by touching it, so get a wrist band and dont work on carpets and turn the AC on

and the last thing to understand is watch a video on how to apply CPU thermalpaste on youtube

if you can handle the above you can build your own computer

now paying a dude 100$?

if he is someone you know locally, sure, dont send off your stuff to some random dude on the internet

He is the go to tech guy for my dads business. (networking / ports / fix IT problems.)

Definitely do it yourself! Not only do you get to specify the quality of each component you will have the satisfaction of being able to say, "I built it myself."

I'm in the middle of my first-ever build, and even though I had troubles figuring out which power connector to attach where, I definintely have to say that I'm enjoying the experience. The folks here at OCC are always willing to help a newbie get past whatever is not working. Sure, I took some ribbing, but not not all the folks here are trifling.

I recommend using a power supply calculator to help you select the correct size. Try this one: http://www.thermalta...n.com/index.jsp

After you calculate the minimum watts, I recommend stepping up to the next-larger unit. That way you're not running your PSU at near-peak wattage when you're stressing your rig while playing one of the kick-butt games. Buy one from one of the manufacturers recommended here on OCC. And don't try to get by on the cheap, either. Remember the PSU is the heart of your system. Be prepared to spend $120 or so.

Pay attention to the number of and shape of the connectors that you will need to connect your video card, extra fans, and the CPU to the power supply. My video card uses two six-pin 12-volt connectors. My two extra fans didn't have a fan-power socket on the MoBo - there are just two. So, I needed to use the 4-pin connector-adapters that came with them. I was sure happy to have those adapters on hand.

Don't get fooled by the "double-tailed" six-pin adapters that may be included in your graphic card's box. I did and learned a hard lesson. They were unnecessary. Because I didn't know that, I used them when I tried to connect the PSU to my GTX 470. Big mistake. I found that I didn't have a sufficient number of four-pin connectors (I was one short). I thought I had to purchase another, different PSU to continue on with my build, one that had a bunch more of these four-pin connectors. Wrong! Fortunately, I called out to the guys here at OCC and they showed me the error that I'd made, saving me some money and a lot of time.

And the 20-pin plus 4-pin MoBo connector thing gave me grief. It turns out that you have to insert the 20-pin and the 4-pin connectors into the 24-pin socket. It is possible. It just didn't seem right. Oh, yeah, don't forget to hook up a 4-pin 12-volt connector to the CPU-power socket.

I have to agree with the guys who cautioned you about not having anyone to help you diagnose problems. I'm dealing with what is probably a dead-on-arrival optical drive right now. My only solution is to purchase another OD and then see if it works when I hook it up. Having somebody who knows a thing or two about what can go wrong with your components is a big help.

Still, don't pay somebody to do it for you. Get in there and figure it out yourself. You'll be glad that you did.

Definitely do it yourself! Not only do you get to specify the quality of each component you will have the satisfaction of being able to say, "I built it myself."

I'm in the middle of my first-ever build, and even though I had troubles figuring out which power connector to attach where, I definintely have to say that I'm enjoying the experience. The folks here at OCC are always willing to help a newbie get past whatever is not working. Sure, I took some ribbing, but not not all the folks here are trifling.

I recommend using a power supply calculator to help you select the correct size. Try this one: http://www.thermalta...n.com/index.jsp

After you calculate the minimum watts, I recommend stepping up to the next-larger unit. That way you're not running your PSU at near-peak wattage when you're stressing your rig while playing one of the kick-butt games. Buy one from one of the manufacturers recommended here on OCC. And don't try to get by on the cheap, either. Remember the PSU is the heart of your system. Be prepared to spend $120 or so.

Pay attention to the number of and shape of the connectors that you will need to connect your video card, extra fans, and the CPU to the power supply. My video card uses two six-pin 12-volt connectors. My two extra fans didn't have a fan-power socket on the MoBo - there are just two. So, I needed to use the 4-pin connector-adapters that came with them. I was sure happy to have those adapters on hand.

Don't get fooled by the "double-tailed" six-pin adapters that may be included in your graphic card's box. I did and learned a hard lesson. They were unnecessary. Because I didn't know that, I used them when I tried to connect the PSU to my GTX 470. Big mistake. I found that I didn't have a sufficient number of four-pin connectors (I was one short). I thought I had to purchase another, different PSU to continue on with my build, one that had a bunch more of these four-pin connectors. Wrong! Fortunately, I called out to the guys here at OCC and they showed me the error that I'd made, saving me some money and a lot of time.

And the 20-pin plus 4-pin MoBo connector thing gave me grief. It turns out that you have to insert the 20-pin and the 4-pin connectors into the 24-pin socket. It is possible. It just didn't seem right. Oh, yeah, don't forget to hook up a 4-pin 12-volt connector to the CPU-power socket.

I have to agree with the guys who cautioned you about not having anyone to help you diagnose problems. I'm dealing with what is probably a dead-on-arrival optical drive right now. My only solution is to purchase another OD and then see if it works when I hook it up. Having somebody who knows a thing or two about what can go wrong with your components is a big help.

Still, don't pay somebody to do it for you. Get in there and figure it out yourself. You'll be glad that you did.

Thanks for the info man, I just built it last night, it took me 2hrs!

I am waiting for my SSD to come in from amazon...

and now I just learned that I need SATA optical drives... lol yet another thing!

way to go! what i must say is DOA parts are the worst and if you don't have anything spare setting around your going to scratch your head but thats about it. oh for PSUs if you don't know what your doing just ask people on here and save a headache and stick to a good brand