Project Skynet

Kennie

I had an unsupported cpu once, and I didnt get anything. no beeps, no picture, nothing. I think you do get a picture with no cpu though, or at least some beeps. try that

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my real desk is to the right of that crt monitor.

Okay, I think there's some problem with the motherboard.

I checked with my old motherboard, the PSU works just fine. So it's not that. I checked with my old PSU and my new motherboard, made no difference.

Since there is no post, no beeps, not image at all, neither of my monitors detects it at any point, no difference if I choose internal GPU or my 5870, it seems it is the motherboard, not the CPU which is the cause.

There is a light on the motherboard for detecting it being powered, and it lights up. CPU fan starts to spin, but nothing more than that. I tried the memOK! button, but, as the manual states, the speed of the blinking should vary depending on phase in the memOK test, and it does not do that. I would suspect it needs to be able to post for it to actually work, too, so I don't think that's the case.

It looks like I will have to RMA the motherboard. Can't think of anything else. :(

Another piece to the puzzle:

My GPU seems to be broken as well. I tried it with my old motherboard, and the system would not post, sound any beeps and no visual image whatsoever again.

I have RMA'd both the gpu and the motherboard, to hopefully get the problem fixed.

In the meantime, if anybody happens to live in Finland, has got a spare AM3 motherboard, feel free to send it to me! :D Preferably with a bios supporting my hexacore.

Right now I'm running a partially new system, with new case, new psu, old harddrives, old motherboard, old ram, old cpu and old gpu.

What I can say so far is that the temps dropped by some 8 degrees simply by putting the old components in my haf 922. No actual performance increase, though, so I won't bother running benchmarks yet.

I had the same problem with my ASUS P6X58D-E. I put the RAM in the instructed slots and had your problems then put it in the secondary slots and everything worked.(took me a week to figure it out)LOL

I had the same problem with my ASUS P6X58D-E. I put the RAM in the instructed slots and had your problems then put it in the secondary slots and everything worked.(took me a week to figure it out)LOL

Too bad I have tried both sticks of RAM separately, and what slot makes no difference. :/

You should of invested the money you spent, or had spent for you, on the chair in higher specified and compatible hardware. I'd sit on a tea chest if I had too! ;):lol:

If that only was possible, yeah. :)

Edited by Kennie

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Okay, I'm not really sure what to think now.

I got an SMS today about the motherboard and GPU I RMA'd, saying they had tested them, and they found no problems whatsoever.

Well, I took the stuff home, I thought, I'll put it together again, to further investigate the problem.

To my sheer amazement, it worked!

Somehow, my system works. No products changed, swapped or anything. It just works.

Oh, and I acquired AS5 thermal paste too.

All photos I took of the unboxing stuff are on my old harddrive which I don't really have access to right now (or I cba to install it in my system), so unless you are dying to see me open boxes, I will spare you the spam created by them.

What is to come more of, though, are benchmarks.

I ran 3dmark vantage, with the following outcome. Remember, these are all basic settings, I've changed nothing.

Cpu score: 14330

Graphics score: 14511

zNETds.jpg

Sorry about the whitespace, I only have MSPain so far and it sort of failed.

Cinebench 11.5:

CPU: 8.19pts

OpenGL: Somehow, I got an error when trying to run the test. Not sure why.

SuperPi 1M: 22.676

Update:

Okay, I'm not really sure what to think now.

I got an SMS today about the motherboard and GPU I RMA'd, saying they had tested them, and they found no problems whatsoever.

Well, I took the stuff home, I thought, I'll put it together again, to further investigate the problem.

To my sheer amazement, it worked!

Somehow, my system works. No products changed, swapped or anything. It just works.

Oh, and I acquired AS5 thermal paste too.

All photos I took of the unboxing stuff are on my old harddrive which I don't really have access to right now (or I cba to install it in my system), so unless you are dying to see me open boxes, I will spare you the spam created by them.

What is to come more of, though, are benchmarks.

Cpu score: 14330

Graphics score: 14511

vf8aM.jpg

Cinebench 11.5:

CPU: 5.65pts

OpenGL: 32.14 fps

OlWdW.jpg

SuperPi 1M: 21.423s

2EevG.jpg

Just Cause 2:

Concrete Jungle: 46.15fps avg.

Although not HD resolution, this is what I game at, since I play in windowed mode.

ehZHT.jpg

Annnnnd a pic of my epic very-awesome cable management which basically consists of "tuck everything behind the motherboard tray".

6nc59l.jpg

Some rough temps:

CPU: Idle 36C, load 52C

CPU cores: Idle 26C, load 47C

GPU: Idle 35C, load 63C

Edited by Kennie

• 1 month later...

New update!

I got some of my new stuff yesterday, not that much though.

So I ordered a Steelseries Ikari Laser mouse, white edition, a Roccat sense adrenalin blue mousepad, and the cooler master V6GT.

I have also ordered (and they should arrive next week) M-Audio AV 40 speakers, Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard, Nineteen Eighty-four by George Orwell (I've read it before, but I wanted to own a copy, and the store which sold the speakers also sells books, oddly enough), Two cans of compressed air to clean out the dust from my Haf 922, Siberia v2 headset and siberia in-ear earphones.

Because I will be getting a new soundcard, I will wait with the unboxing of my new cpu-cooler until that arrives, so that I will have one big christmas eve. :D

What I did unbox, and am now using, is the Ikari laser and the mousepad.

And thus, let the visual flooding commence!

JjPeUl.jpg

I didn't receive them in any larger package, as I picked them up from the store, so I just received them like that, in a plastic bag. Good enough for me.

LbftNl.jpg

It wasn't as colourful as I had hoped, and the image isn't too sharp. However, the surface capabilities makes up for that.

NJHe9l.jpg

I like how they just had to add the three badges for the different windows versions. :D

XyM3Pl.jpg

The mouse is very glossy, as you can tell by my camera flash making the packaging surrounding the mouse light up. :)

yxABcl.jpg

The two together, along with my keyboard and monitor in the background, merely for showing the size. It's a very large mousepad.