jk336699

Anyone knows Ultra?!

i built a computer with ultra LS 500 and it got the job done( may due to the fact it was loaded arround only 450w)

and right now i'm building a crossfire build which requires about 650w

would This Ultra PSU get the job done?!

I really dont wanna the Psu to burn out any parts....

You guys have any suggestion for me!?

Appreciate your helps!!!

Edited by jk336699

Welcome to OCC.

As for Ultra in the power supply department, I've heard both good and bad things about them. My friend has a 750w Ultra power supply and it works fine, but he's hardly stressing it at all with an 8500GT, Q6600 at stock, 2GB of RAM, and an OEM motherboard.

However, I know that either way it doesn't compare to something like:

Corsair

Antec

PC Power & Cooling

or OCZ

And I'm sure other people would agree with me too.

Welcome to OCC.

As for Ultra in the power supply department, I've heard both good and bad things about them. My friend has a 750w Ultra power supply and it works fine, but he's hardly stressing it at all with an 8500GT, Q6600 at stock, 2GB of RAM, and an OEM motherboard.

However, I know that either way it doesn't compare to something like:

Corsair

Antec

PC Power & Cooling

or OCZ

And I'm sure other people would agree with me too.

Yep pretty much summed it up there, I had a 600W Ultra and it was awful. Couldn't OC at all

depends what unit/line series you get from them. Some are piss poor while others are not bad, like their X3 units.

depends what unit/line series you get from them. Some are piss poor while others are not bad, like their X3 units.

But still they're never really great :P, they aren't always bad necessarily. More suited to that $30 PSU you pickup just to run your machine until the good one shows up haha

Ultra had a bad rep for a while. The PSU specs were not correct from the tags they put on them and if I remeber they got busted. Currently, they make a good PSU. Not the best but very decent in the X3 and X 4's/ I have a Ultra X3 850 PSU I used for a bit and upgraded to a Corsair HX1000. PM me if you are interested in my X3 850. I will let it go pretty cheap. It performed fine so do not worry about Ultra no matter what anyone says. There have been no bad reports in the past few years about their product.

Edited by Drdeath

I would say if you are going to be at 650 watts then any 650 watt power supply is not enough go with 20% more than you are using.

That said I am at 450 watts at the power outlet under full load with my system

which means my power supply output is about 450 x .80 =360.

The .80 is guessing the unit is 80% effecient

Now if you are at only 500-550w then you are ok.

I found this............

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/268036-31-shrieking-sound-massive-overheat

1/2 way down the page

I am the Tech for my office & staff I support 50+ systems. MY own Home PC went out so I built a new Top-Of-The-Line system. AM3 Phenom II - 3.2Ghz - Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P - 4Gig RAM 6X 500 Gig HDgrey_loader.gif - 3XSony DVD Burners - ATI AIW X1800XL 6X40mm Case Fans. It needs a LOT of power. This LSP650 boots and runs the whole system Quietly and Efficiently. I have always preferred ANTEC or ENLIGHT but have NO problem recommending these ULTRA Power Supplies now. CompUSA is 2 miles from my home so I compared carefully. For the price, you cannot go wrong. KEEP your receipt as ULTRA requires this to register for your LIFETIME warranty - I registered on-line fast and easy. If this is an example of Ultra's commitment to quality, I salute them. For the price ($70) this is a great P/S. For any future builds, I will stick with these ULTRA Power Supplies."

This was a review for the Ultra LSP650 power-supply. And it had great reviews...:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] VIEWS#tabs

Are you quite sure it's the PSU?

Ultra had a bad rep for a while. The PSU specs were not correct from the tags they put on them and if I remeber they got busted. Currently, they make a good PSU. Not the best but very decent in the X3 and X 4's/ I have a Ultra X3 850 PSU I used for a bit and upgraded to a Corsair HX1000. PM me if you are interested in my X3 850. I will let it go pretty cheap. It performed fine so do not worry about Ultra no matter what anyone says. There have been no bad reports in the past few years about their product.

The thing is if i get the x3 600w series psu it costs more than a corsair one...

Maybe it's better to stick with corsair since it's on sale on newegg!!

how about xfx?! it's on sale for 55 on newegg!!

I notice that it's a gray version and has only one comment on this... it there anything wrong with this gray fan version!?or people just dont like it in gray...

Edited by jk336699

Just get a Corsair, it's considered one of the best brands. If there's anything you want to get the best quality you can for, it's the PSU. Saving $20 now isn't worth a ton of potential trouble later. As for the XFX, doesn't that company really only make video cards? That's the first clue the power supplies probably aren't good, it's not their niche. The fact that nobody bought it is also a clue.

Edited by Darth_Tom

Just get a Corsair, it's considered one of the best brands. If there's anything you want to get the best quality you can for, it's the PSU. Saving $20 now isn't worth a ton of potential trouble later. As for the XFX, doesn't that company really only make video cards? That's the first clue the power supplies probably aren't good, it's not their niche. The fact that nobody bought it is also a clue.

Lol so I guess EVGA motherboards cant be good since mainly make videocards and I guess also that Samsung harddrives are garbage since they've been focusing on monittors for so long :rolleyes:

The thing is if i get the x3 600w series psu it costs more than a corsair one...

Maybe it's better to stick with corsair since it's on sale on newegg!!

how about xfx?! it's on sale for 55 on newegg!!

I notice that it's a gray version and has only one comment on this... it there anything wrong with this gray fan version!?or people just dont like it in gray...

You will not go wrong with Corsair. Good choice!

I have the Ultra LSP750 750-Watt i dont OC but it's running a X4 965 125W and a BFG 260... 3 hard drive and a couple 220mm and 240mm fans the CPU fan 4 gigs of corsair XMS2 DHX ... i bought it first cause of the lifetime warrenty and so far so good after 4 months it holds numbers 5.03 on the 5... 11.9 on the 12V etc. planning to get a second video card... some might think i'm taking a huge chance but you cant beat it for the price at 70 bucks and i dont know i like to give the little guy a chance lol :)