Building my first computer - a Leo Platform

engstudent

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice build! How are you sending it into space? :thumbsup:

Thanks! It turns out given the heavy steel case, that airflow from the HAF X case fans aren't enough to overcome gravity losses.

So I ordered another 200mm :rofl:

No the fan is an effort to maximize available air flow for the cooling elements on the board. Trying to get the air to circulate in the case, in the direction of the Zaward 120 CPU cooler.

Even with the lower profile of the Zaward cooler I had trouble fitting the pusher fan on the DIMM side - so I turned it around and have air blowing from the mosfet side towards the DIMMs - waiting on the 200mm fan to add an exhaust at that point. I turned all of the fans into intakes, including the other 200mm at the top/rear and the 140mm in the back to make suer the CPU cooler has a good source of cool air and am allowing normal ventilation to relieve the system of warmer air. This didnt actually improve temperatures, except the CPU at idle by 3 degrees. At load Im wondering if I didnt run prime95 long enough to get the top temperature in the other fan configuration. Because it seems to over shoot the old CPU temp by 1 degree.

Could be because there was no room for teh other set of turbulance ram cooler fans on the other side of the CPU after I replaced the stock cooler. I am concedering taking the fans out of the metal frame and crazy glueing them on to the top of Northbridge heatsink. They wont fit at all while inside thier frames. It wont look symetrical anymore but I bet Ill drop temps by another 2 degrees all around.

Managed a stable 3.725Ghz overclock with the ram at 1862Mhz and 1T for a superPi 32m test at 1123 seconds. Northbridge at 2095Mhz, bus at 232Mhz x16.

Going to bump up the bus speed and vcore slowly to see if I can get a stable 2000Mhz at 1T.

:thx:

Well I can't seem to get a stable 1t at 2000Mhz

Right now the memory and NB is at 1910 latency 9 9 9 24 40 1T and it's completely stable. Get the 32m Pi test done in 1104 seconds.

The 1090t is running at 3.82ghz. Had to up the NB/CPU and dram voltage a little. Updated the BIOS to version 1005. Still can't get CPU over 4 or the ram over 2000 & 1T stable.

Any ideas? I am of course satisfied with the computers performance but just a little annoyed that I can't get the same settings that were achieved for the review gskill flares here at OCC. Even if I get better times. (:

Just pulled the trigger on these 2 items via newegg.com

1 CORSAIR Professional Series AX750 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Item #: N82E16817139016

Standard Return Policy $169.99

1 MSI R5830 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ ...

Item #: N82E16814127491

VGA Standard Return Policy $199.99 - $50.00 mail in rebate.

Didn't feel anything further than a 5830 was worth the money for me at this time with how much I game, and with a 50 dollar mail in rebate I couldn't resist - that'll do me for a while. :woot:

• 2 weeks later...

Way to ruin a day MSI. The 5830 looked and ran great. It was the annoying hissing and buzzing sound coming from, most likely was a faulty capacitor on the card.

MSI has honor of being my first RMA. And the subject of a 1 egg review.

Replaced it with a gigabyte 5850 OC runs well minus the hissyFitt.

I'll see if I can get the clock up to 9something on Monday before testing it.

Way to ruin a day MSI. The 5830 looked and ran great. It was the annoying hissing and buzzing sound coming from, most likely was a faulty capacitor on the card.

MSI has honor of being my first RMA. And the subject of a 1 egg review.

Replaced it with a gigabyte 5850 OC runs well minus the hissyFitt.

I'll see if I can get the clock up to 9something on Monday before testing it.

last i heard a leo platform consisted of ATi cards in crossfire.. not crappy nvidia gt250 cards lol

:rolleyes:

If he wanted to he could use that card in the same system for PhysX/Cuda work and gain a tonne of performance, especially in games.. not bad for an old 250 huh? :lol: Nice rig by the way! hope it serves you well. :happy:

Edited by SenitaL

Very nice, how much was that RAM? It's hard to find 1600 @ cl7 let alone 1967 :teehee:

It's g.skills flare3 designed for the 890 and phenom II easy to overclock to 2000 and 1t. But you seem to get better performance by overclocking both the processor and ram and leaving it just short of2000 for a stable 1t.

Going to put the EVGA back in and see if it makes me l33t in ut3 (:

Nice sig btw Sentinal I used to play Starsiege all the time.

last i heard a leo platform consisted of ATi cards in crossfire.. not crappy nvidia gt250 cards lol

Another 5850 to crossfire, a water cooling solution for the CPU and maybe a bulldozer are all priority future upgrades. But I think ill be happy with this for a while.

What's you vcore and CPU cooler btw to get 3.99 out of that 1055?

Edited by engstudent