Sign in to follow this  
Guest_Jim_*

Lucas Announces Star Wars Blu-ray

Lucas Announces Star Wars Blu-ray

As though there was ever any doubt they would be released to Blu-ray. But what's coming with them?

"I wish I could say it's coming out this year, but it's coming out next year," Lucas said...

and

Lucas said, "They'll be different kinds of additional material," adding, "I think you've seen enough behind the scenes [material] for a lifetime. There's some really good material that will be included in there, [including] more deleted scenes that you haven't seen yet." Lucas said these newly released scenes would be kept separate from the film itself.

but most importantly

...no, we didn't get any info on whether the original, pre-Special Edition versions of the films will be part of this set as well.

:(

Well, they put them on that one DVD set, so maybe, just maybe, they'll have learned their lesson.

and finally

Lucasfilm's official press release for the Blu-rays. It confirms that all six movies are being released on Blu-ray and that the set is coming out Fall 2011

Now my brother knows when he's getting a Blu-ray player.

Blu-ray.com: George Lucas Announces Star Wars Blu-ray for 2011

Little bit more and different info, plus the deleted scene shown at the announcement.

the Star Wars films will be released on Blu-ray in 2011, in a six-movie box set

Lucas also clarified that the original trilogy movies will be included as they were shown theatrically in 1997 and released on DVD in 2004 - i.e., the original versions will not be included. "You have to go through and do a whole restoration on it, and you have to do that digitally," he said. "It's a very, very expensive process to do it. So when we did the transfer to digital, we only transferred really the upgraded version."

Not upgraded in my opinion. Plus, they've been remastered before the special editions, and only the scenes they changed would have to be restored, not the whole films. Who wants to bet that there will be a second Blu-ray release with the original versions in say, five years?

Well I already own two copies of the movies on DVD. The 2004 DVD release and then the 2006 or 07 DVD limited edition set that includes the original theatrical films on the same disc. So uh, seeing as how they have the original theatrical versions already out on DVD, what is stopping them from taking that already done digital transfer and just improving it a little more for BD?

Ah well, I'm stoked regardless to see the Star Wars films on BD.

It's a lot more than a little improvement to get DVD to Blu-ray standards, but I still think it's bogus and either from Lucas' arrogance or greed.

It's a lot more than a little improvement to get DVD to Blu-ray standards, but I still think it's bogus and either from Lucas' arrogance or greed.

I was being sarcastic with the little mark. :P

I'm still irked at all the "enhancements" they made to the special editions. Like replacing the holograms or Force ghosts with the prequel actors.. freaking rip off.

Sorry, I'm absolutely horrible at picking up sarcasm in text (it being flat text aside).

Some of the "enhancements" I can live with (live with is different than like though) but replacing actors is just insulting. Why couldn't Lucas be more like Spielberg and release every single version in one set.

Yeah, thats the one part I hate about the special editions. The replacement of actors.. then in the credits, the original actors are still listed!

I don't think even Lucas knows what he is doing with these movies anymore.

OH! And I forgot about the most famous change, but Engadget's article reminded me.

Han Shot First!

That part was terrible to redo, tons of outcries when it was shown and still continue to this day.

i kinda wish they would pack both the special and limited editions in one disk and let you chose certain revisions to be displayed. I liked some of the visual tweaks they did like the CG for the space battles and the jabba the hutt scene in Ep IV