airman

Doberman Puppy?

My roommate is talking about getting a male doberman puppy. I know that these dogs can be loyal and easily trained, but I don't know much about them besides their stereotypical aggression and their typical role in movies as the terrifying guard dog with a thirst for ripping someone's face off. I know that's not how they are in real life, but I do know that they can be aggressive. I'm very good with animals, specifically a dog lover, but have never known anyone who has had one. Can anyone speak from experience about Dobermans? I've grown up with dogs, and raised them so I know what to expect, and I wouldn't mind having a dog around here. However without knowing much about the breed, I couldn't say for sure that a Doberman is the best way to go.

Thoughts?

When I was a kid a was scared of them due to how they were portrayed. But, I can tell you from experience with quite a few, that they are actually awesome dogs, with great temperments. Most of them are actually very relaxed and very loving. You can always raise a dog to be mean, no matter what breed it is. But, I really think it would take a lot of abuse to make a doberman mean! Even though pits can be very nice too, and I have many friends that have pitbulls that are big babies, I still thik there is just something in their blodd that can make them snap! I do not believe for a second that dobermans have this same trait! I have been around them, my sister has a doberman mix, and I plan on getting a doberman sometime in the next few years, just need a bigger yard! I also have an 18 month old son if that tells you how comfortable I am about the doberman breed!

Do some reading on them, and you will find these opinions resonated by many!

Edited by SpeedwayNative

We have been thinking about getting one to replace our Rotties that passed away recently. I really like them they can be really great dogs.

Dobies can be good pets, but a lot of the time they can also be very very stupid dogs.

My dad had a belgian malinois and that dog was brilliant. After that dog he got a doberman and it was dumb as dirt.

My sister also has a doberman (named buddy) who is actually pretty smart.

Just be thankful that you can even have pets as my mum is allergic to most things furry :-/ I have however wanted a Siberian husky ever since i was 6 or 7, and will defiantly get one some day :) Good luck with the Dobermans!

In my native place i had doberman puppy,it was very friendly, and used to crap a lot :lol: ,dont know how they become when they get all grown,cause i shifted to the city.

Edited by joel.monteiro

Doberman is a good dog to get :)

Yes I too wanted a Siberian husky but wife is too allergic so ended getting a black lab + border collie mix...

When I was young my Dad worked as a night watchman for a trucking company. They had a doberman which only my Dad, his boss and wife could get near. However once the dog got to know me she was as gentle as a puppy.

Edited by slugbug

I have owned a Doberman. (she passed away) and I'm a fan of the breed. I think they get a bad rep from movies and also people x breeding them and bad owners who don't put the effort into owning a dog.

In my experience they are very loyal, protective of its master and immediate family, intelligent and can be trained to be very obedient. Its essential that you do so. They are line of sight dogs and without training are prone to chasing running people. They can get bored and I found it was useful to play hide and seek games with some of their food. Also training is something they enjoy and also relieves boredom.

They need a lot of daily exercise and a fenced yard. Make it high because they can jump a bloody long way. They can be a bit scatter brained poorly coordinated for the first 12-18 months and they get bored easily. Will usually follow you everywhere. If you do get one please get a pure bred from a reputable dealer and register it.