Sign in to follow this  
Liclac

[HELP] I have a strange problem with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit?

I recently bought my Asus G73JH-A1 laptop with genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

Only 1 day after I bought it, I have problems with the windows. The hardware seems work fine and no problem at all. I was a Windows XP Professional 32bit. user and this is my the first time I am using Windows 7. No virus, no spyware, or no malware, I haven't opened anything suspicious. I can just simply hit f9 in BIOS and recover it so it will act like the first time I bought this laptop, but I want to know another way to solve it instead of formatting my HDD.

These are the problems:

1. I have this window always shows up at startup.

"Microsoft Register Server has stopped working"

"check for online solution and close the program"

"Close the program"

I have ever click "check online solution" but it useless.

This problem actually doesn't bother my system performance and my work, but it just a pain in my eyes to see it everytime I start the windows up and click "close the program". I have searched through the internet and I only found some conclusion only for vista 32bit with something like "regsvr32" from windows directory. I have ever tried it with my 64bit 7, it didn't work.

So actually is there any other conclusion? Or can I make this windows register server work again? is windows register server is very important to my system?

2. Asus sure have their laptops installed with Asus desktop theme.

Yeah, I can change the theme from "desktop > personalization". The theme has no problem when I change it. and it changes smoothly. BUT It will last untill I shut down or restart my laptop. After I restart my laptop or shut it down and then start the windows up, (the microsoft register server still shows up) and the theme will last only a few seconds, and it will return back automatically to Asus theme and asus wallpaper.

I tested the laptop. I downloaded a picture wallpaper, say it "wallpaper A". I made it as my desktop wallpaper (right click > set as desktop background). The wallpaper changed! AGAIN. When I started the windows up, the wallpaper A last only a few seconds, then the wallpaper changed to asus wallpaper.

Sometimes the cases are different. When I started the windows up, the wallpaper was already Asus, then after a few seconds, it automatically changed to the wallpaper A. Sometimes it not changed at all. When I started the windows up, the wallpaper already became asus wallpaper and stuck.

Is there any conclusion??

3. Is this normal?

I tried to defragment the drive OS (C:/). I analize it first, but the percentage suddenly showed 70% and stucked, sometimes 90%, sometimes 68%. The processor indicator LED showed the processor was still working.. is this normal?

If you have any conclusion please explain me in a simple way, because I know nothing about programming and registry manipulation. If you have to explain me with some registry manipulation, please tell me step by step..

Thank you very much for your help. I never found something like this in my Windows XP before..

Best Regards

Liclac

Microsoft Register Server has stopped working;

Check the event log and post up any error or critical notifications that deal with this error - check both the application and the system logs

Also, try booting the machine in safe mode and see if the error occurs

Wallpaper Issue

Asus has apparently enabled the feature that prevents users from changing their desktop wallpaper/appearance

To fix this;

Start>Seach Box>type in "gpedit.msc" without the quotations

The Local Group Policy Editor will open

Expand User Configuration>Expand Administrative Templates>Expand Desktop>now click on Desktop in the sub-directory key

Look for the entry in the right hand pane (should be fourth one down - Desktop Wallpaper

Double click on that and choose Setting - available options will be; not configured, enabled or disabled

Choose disabled

Here is an illustration of what you'll see;

screenhunter01aug110955.jpg

By wevsspot at 2010-08-11

Disk Defragmentation Hangs

First step to is use the built in history and cookie cleaners built in to IE and/or Firefox

Afterwards use the Windows disk cleanup utility to clean unused/old files

Next go to www.defraggler.com

Download and install defraggler then run it

It will probably hang to, but the nice thing about defraggler is it will tell you which file(s) you're hanging up on and then we can take it from there

Edited by wevsspot
  • Like 1

Microsoft Register Server has stopped working;

Check the event log and post up any error or critical notifications that deal with this error - check both the application and the system logs

Also, try booting the machine in safe mode and see if the error occurs

Wallpaper Issue

Asus has apparently enabled the feature that prevents users from changing their desktop wallpaper/appearance

To fix this;

Start>Seach Box>type in "gpedit.msc" without the quotations

The Local Group Policy Editor will open

Expand User Configuration>Expand Administrative Templates>Expand Desktop>now click on Desktop in the sub-directory key

Look for the entry in the right hand pane (should be fourth one down - Desktop Wallpaper

Double click on that and choose Setting - available options will be; not configured, enabled or disabled

Choose disabled

Here is an illustration of what you'll see;

screenhunter01aug110955.jpg

By wevsspot at 2010-08-11

Disk Defragmentation Hangs

First step to is use the built in history and cookie cleaners built in to IE and/or Firefox

Afterwards use the Windows disk cleanup utility to clean unused/old files

Next go to www.defraggler.com

Download and install defraggler then run it

It will probably hang to, but the nice thing about defraggler is it will tell you which file(s) you're hanging up on and then we can take it from there

Wevsspot,

for the log, I am sorry I cannot post it right now, because the laptop isn't with me right now, my friend was trying to fix it, but just now, he said that he couldn't find any conclusion, so he will do a recovery from asus hidden partition which will make the laptop is just like new to find the source of the error..

The wallpaper works again! thank you very much Wevsspot! Asus sure piss me off with that wallpaper thing, and I have no more problem with it at all.

Defraggler.com --> piriform software sure is good, I just browsed their websites, and I think I found some program that is very useful...

Again, thank you very much for your help Wevsspot.. :D

Best regards.

After your buddy gets done reinstalling Windows 7 - as you reinstall your apps, anti-virus, windows updates, drivers etc. make sure to double check after each installation for that regsvr error. It is kind of strange that you had two fairly major issues (Microsoft Register Server and Disk Defragmenter) that were acting up.

In the future if you suspect that Windows has been damaged you can run the SFC /SCANNOW utility from an elevated command prompt. It will scan your drive for damaged, corrupted or missing critical Windows 7 files and fix or replace them.

p.s. you're welcome and thanks for the kind words.

Regards,

Wev

Ditch the asus recovery and ask your buddy to install win7 from scratch. Sometimes all that junk that comes preinstalled causes problems.

That wallpaper thing is just...wow. Why would you prevent your customer from being able to change wallpapers...

My 2 cents FWIW :cheers:

Ditch the asus recovery and ask your buddy to install win7 from scratch. Sometimes all that junk that comes preinstalled causes problems.

That wallpaper thing is just...wow. Why would you prevent your customer from being able to change wallpapers...

My 2 cents FWIW :cheers:

ViperK,

I can just simply ditch the asus recovery from my hidden partition, but the laptop is only bundled with 1 CD, "Asus Utility and Driver", it doens't come with a Genuine Windows 7 HP 64bit..That what makes me think twice before ditching the recovery. It is a waste if I ditch it and buy another Windows 7 HP 64bit..

I don't know what asus think about the wallpaper.. But I hope it doesn't happen to another asus user..

Wevsspot,

Yeah, I am sure I will check it twice after installing any programs later... I hope after I get my laptop back, the problems regsvr have been fixed and they will be the last problems I've ever seen on my laptop..

actually he is not reinstalling windows 7, he is recovering my laptop so the condition will be the same as the time when I turned it on for the first time. The laptop is not coming with any Genuine Windows DVD. only asus utility driver CD. yes, only that one..

Do you mean something is wrong with my windows with Microsoft Register Server and Disk Defragmenter issues?

best Regards,

Lic

Edited by Liclac

ViperK,

Do you mean something is wrong with my windows with Microsoft Register Server and Disk Defragmenter issues?

best Regards,

Lic

It's hard to tell, so I'm not ready to boldly proclaim there was an issue with the OS installation. It's just kind of weird to have multiple problems like this at the same time. I've done several W7 installs now (both 32 and 64 bit) and for the most part they have been slick as butter.

Hey wevsspot, I get my laptop back. The harddrive issue has became no problem again because of the defraggler, it such a useful program. thanks.

The microsoft register server error is still exist, even my buddy has recovered my windows back just as new. My friend ask asus technical support, and it is said that the microsoft register server problem is because of the ATK driver is not up to date with the hardware. I should wait the driver released from asus.

They said that the other asus G73 users are having the same problem. But they are not bothered with it. I don't know if it is true because of the driver or not...

here is the event log of the MIcrosoft Register Server Error:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: regsvr32.exe

Application Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Application Timestamp: 4a5bca28

Fault Module Name: StackHash_8864

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdb3b

Exception Code: c0000374

Exception Offset: 000cdcbb

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 8864

Additional Information 2: 8864c1e40c75bbff65dc93379380ce55

Additional Information 3: 7b03

Additional Information 4: 7b03a8e93d6735dbc2f5497c1ad95904

I really don't understand about it, maybe you know what it means?

thanks

best regards

Lic

If it is a driver conflict that won't be resolved until Asus releases an updated driver, you only have two choices.

Live with it.

or

Remove the Asus Advanced Power Configuration Utility and let Windows manage your power settings.

If it were me I'd choose option #2 until Asus gets the driver straightened out.

Regards,

If it is a driver conflict that won't be resolved until Asus releases an updated driver, you only have two choices.

Live with it.

or

Remove the Asus Advanced Power Configuration Utility and let Windows manage your power settings.

If it were me I'd choose option #2 until Asus gets the driver straightened out.

Regards,

wow, you are amazing, I can't imagined you understand the root of the problem only from that combination of letters and numbers.

I will think of what choice should I pick, but thanks for the suggestion.. Until now, the regsvr error is not disturbing my computer system, I just have to close it at startup.. :)

And I have sent technical inquiry to asus. I hope they respond it ASAP, and release the update soon..

Wevsspot, thank you very much.. You have helped me a lot.. :D

Best regards..

You're very welcome. I hope Asus releases a driver update for you soon.

Regards,

Wev

I've just recently bought a G73 and the same problem has occurred for me as well. I think this problem is leading to other problems on my 3 day old laptop as well. :down: Does anyone know when a fix will be?