Which Cpu Runns Hotter

BeatRyder

Ok, after have a somewhat heated (no pun intended) debate over Which processor runns hotter.

I figured that from what I have read here that they both seem to be pretty close.

So I figured I would post the debate here and ask you guys to help me settle this argument.

i dont care if I am wrong or not, but I would like to know myself wither way.

My 2800+ runs hotter than my P4 2.6C

2800+ load: 42C

P4 2.6C load: 36C

2800+ idle: 34C

P4 2.6C idle: 32C

P4 2.6C: P4 Spark 7+

2800+: SLK-900A, 80mm Tornado

Both are overclocked, and the vcore is raised slightly on each.

P4 2.6C @ 3011MHz

2800+ @ 2388MHz

1000th Post B)

If I recall correctly the p4 3.2C has more thermal dissipation than the Athlon 3200+, but it's not by much. But the p4 running hotter (remember that actual temps don't matter...I'm talkin actual thermal dissipation) is a new thing...palomino and t-bred a certainly ran hotter than williamette and northwood did. Also, on a fully maxed out overclock the p4 REALLY ramps up its heat output, I guess due to the fact that it gains a lot more actual clock speed than the athlons do. We all know this, though...to fully overclock a p4 you need watercooling or phase change, while you can max out an athlon using just extreme air cooling.

i know that the athlon 2500+-2800+ puts out 68.3 watts and the 3000+puts out 74.6 and the 3200 76.8watts dont know about intel thou i think the 3.2 is pushing close to 100 watts i mgiht be wrong thou but start overclcoking and they both run pretty hott

The Willamette core P4's had a problem with heat dissipation. I have the 1.3GHz Willamette, and no matter what I try, I can't get load temps below 65C. I have tried 3 different HSF's, two different thermal compounds, and I have put it in a case with 7 case fans, and I still have problems. Most of the 423 pin heat sinks were aluminum, so they weren't the best for transfering heat. I am still working at getting it to stay below 60C at full load.

with stock cooling out of the box....AMD's run hotter....

But that is STOCK....

After swapping out the HSF's they are pretty darn close...

I've told a few peaple i know the exact same thing! :P

If I recall correctly the p4 3.2C has more thermal dissipation than the Athlon 3200+, but it's not by much.  But the p4 running hotter (remember that actual temps don't matter...I'm talkin actual thermal dissipation) is a new thing...palomino and t-bred a certainly ran hotter than williamette and northwood did.  Also, on a fully maxed out overclock the p4 REALLY ramps up its heat output, I guess due to the fact that it gains a lot more actual clock speed than the athlons do.  We all know this, though...to fully overclock a p4 you need watercooling or phase change, while you can max out an athlon using just extreme air cooling.

Intels have never run hotter than AMD when u compare the XP's and A,B,C series of p4's. The A series was always cooler than the pali's. the B series was cooler than the t-bred's. and the C series is cooler than the bartons. XP's run hotter bottom line. All u AMD fans that are pressed about how cool ur cpu runs are wrong. I can tel most of u haven't compared them head to head with the same HSF. the Volcano 7+ does that quite well.

Now as far as o/cing u definatly don't know man. a P4 doesn't need water or phase changing to max it out. I have maxed out a 1.6A without adjusting the voltage or getting a new cooler for it. Just used the stock intel one. the 2.4C I had maxed out at 3.6 due to mobo problems not liking higher than 300fsb and was using a Volcano 7+. I will repeat Intels don't heat up as much whether its stock or maxxed out. AMD's have smaller surface to HSF contact and have to transfer all their heat through that. the p4's are smart and inclued the IHS to displace more heat.

Edited by Will Smith