Pondering Water Cooling

Like the title says guys I am thinking about going with my first water cooling setup in preparation for my new i7 860 build. How much would it cost to do a solid watercooling setup for just the CPU?

Petras has some decently priced kits.

Depending on the block, radiator, and pump you choose, as well as anything else you decide you need it can range from like $150ish to close to $400.

No nonsense a few hundred bucks to do it right!

Radiator 55-60 Swiftech MCR320

Pump 65-80 D5

Block 50+ ApogeeXT,Heatkiller or your chioce

Tubing Depends on what you use I use Primochill $25 for 10 feet

Res 20+ This depends on taste

Fans 60 This as well 3 Ulta Kaze 2000RPM fans set me back $50

Thats a generalization but it gives you a picture

I'll let you know how my 860 does when I get mine put together this weekend:

GTX360

Heatkiller 3.0 LT

2000 RPM fans

Fish Tank Pump :O

5 Gal Bucket res (not full though)

Lots of water :D

Silver coils, hoses, ties, fittings, etc...

All exterior except the hoses going through the back of the case and block. About 3 bills.

Money saved Jerry rigging a watercooling system... 205 dollars

Watching a two thousand dollar system go up in flames, posting it on occ, and being an attraction of sympathy for a day.... Priceless.

Do it right the First time and you will never regret it. You do not have to use the same components I do... Its just what I recommend

My set-up

Surgical Grade tubing 8FT: $26.00

Herbee Clips X10: $3.00

Fluid additives: PT nuke and pen g11: $8.00

Swiftech Miro res Version 2: $25.00

Water block Swiftech Appogee XT: $80.00

XSPC RX360 Triple 120mm Radiator: $95.00

MCP655 Inline 12V Variable speed pump: $80.00

Distilled water from Walmart: $5.00

Fans: $40

Total: $362.00

The set-up Posted above is no slouch... And they are defiantly worth it. :D

Good luck and hope you can join us in the Wet cooled world.

• Like 1

Money saved Jerry rigging a watercooling system... 205 dollars

Watching a two thousand dollar system go up in flames, posting it on occ, and being an attraction of sympathy for a day.... Priceless.

Do it right the First time and you will never regret it. You do not have to use the same components I do... Its just what I recommend

My set-up

Surgical Grade tubing 8FT: $26.00

Herbee Clips X10: $3.00

Fluid additives: PT nuke and pen g11: $8.00

Swiftech Miro res Version 2: $25.00

Water block Swiftech Appogee XT: $80.00

XSPC RX360 Triple 120mm Radiator: $95.00

MCP655 Inline 12V Variable speed pump: $80.00

Distilled water from Walmart: $5.00

Fans: $40

Total: $362.00

The set-up Posted above is no slouch... And they are defiantly worth it. :D

Good luck and hope you can join us in the Wet cooled world.

i beg your pardon but i find diy can be better than store bought provided the builder takes a few common sense precautions into consideration...store bought has its downside too...

• Like 1

Your right About that loki. Im just a sucker for All internal components. Im just trying to get accross please dont pull a (not going to mention his name) adn burn something up over being in a hurry.

I set forth to make a guide to WC'in one day but its been put on hold among other things.

Night guys. Hope the Wet cooling bug bits you.

Ok guys thanks for all the info.....still on the fence about this whole thing as thats more than I can spend right now (just bought a ring and am getting married soon).....I will have to do a little more research and will check back if I have any questions.

EDIT:

Ok I have a few questions. :)

How do you decide what size radiator will facilitate your cooling needs and what is the point of diminishing returns on this? IE when I do something I do it right and I usually go big. So I would likely do a 240mm rad (if they even make these maybe 2 120's). Would that be overkill as I would plan on adding the GPU to the loop when I upgrade at the end of the year.

Edited by krazypoloc

This is a very good starter kit, and in fact is similar to the one I bought way back when I made my first plunge (no pun intended) into water cooling computers. It has high quality parts, everything you need and it's fairly priced.

If you can find it on sale somewhere even better.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-H20-22-Ultima-XT-Liquid-Cooling-Kit-pr-4324.html

This is a very good starter kit, and in fact is similar to the one I bought way back when I made my first plunge (no pun intended) into water cooling computers. It has high quality parts, everything you need and it's fairly priced.

If you can find it on sale somewhere even better.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-H20-22-Ultima-XT-Liquid-Cooling-Kit-pr-4324.html

Thanks Wev I'll take a look....wow thats a really great price!

Edited by krazypoloc

I would recommend that even if you have a reservoir, you also get a T line in your system for filling and draining. I only say this because the cap on my res is extremely hard to take off.

Thanks man!

How often do you have to "top off" your res?

Also would there be any issue in internally front mounting the rad? Other than the obvious of expelling the heat inside the case? I don't use internal optical drives so I always have a lot of room in the front and would think getting "fresh" air directly to the radiator would be the best case scenario.