The difference between wireless and wired networking?

Avinexis

Hey guys. A friend of mines PC is pretty much screwed beyond repair. I'll need to reinstall Windows for her but my main concern is that her computer is connected to the internet by a cable, and I've always only used wireless. How does wired differ from wireless as far as setup on a clean install goes? Will I need drivers, passwords, etc.?

You shouldn't have to do anything special, but you might need a driver for the ethernet port depending on the board.

So would it be a good idea if I get the motherboard model beforehand, download any available drivers and take them on a portable device? As for doing the instal and everything else I'm fine in that respect and have done it thousands of times, it's just the concept of wired internet that scares me :ph34r:

So would it be a good idea if I get the motherboard model beforehand, download any available drivers and take them on a portable device? As for doing the instal and everything else I'm fine in that respect and have done it thousands of times, it's just the concept of wired internet that scares me :ph34r:

Yes, that sounds like a plan. Once you can get online you can get any other needed drivers. These days I just use a wireless dongle which I have a driver disc for, it gets me online so I can download proprietary drivers, but IDK if you have wireless available where you're going.

Windows should have baked in generic drivers for ethernet ports. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have the drivers with you, but Windows Update normally finds them for me (though I don't install them).

As far as set up, ethernet has always been plug and play for me, unless the router I'm connecting to has security, like MAC filtering or is password protected, but those steps shouldn't be any different than setting up wireless.

You do realize the internet was wired first, right? :lol: I personally prefer wired because it can be considerably faster, more stable, and more secure.

Windows should have baked in generic drivers for ethernet ports.

Yes it does, but they only work with certain boards. I've always had to get drivers before connecting with Dells, but I recently installed XP Pro on a Compac and didn't need to download any drivers at all.

Before I send anyone on a service call I make sure they have a "driver" pack for the desktop/laptop they will be working on. The driver pack includes all drivers, the latest bios, and a copy of the users manual downloaded directly from the m/b mfgs. website.

I just have them downloaded and put onto a flash drive that they carry with them.

Wired is actually easier. Install windows, install drivers, plug in ethernet cable - windows automatically assigns an IP address and you're off to the races.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh young grasshopper.....what I started doing years ago was having people bring their PC over and drop it off....much easeir this way and you don't have to deal with any of the awkwardness of being at someone elses

house. You also have the convenience of having any tools or software that you own at your fingertips. I have a KVM setup at my desk for this very reason....just plop a tower or laptop down and I'm able to use the same keyboard, mouse, and monitor for several PC's without changing anything around.

....but Windows Update normally finds them for me....

Hehe...so you want Windows update to find the drivers with the same interface that needs drivers?! :P

Edited by krazypoloc

it's just the concept of wired internet that scares me :ph34r:
85%+ of ALL computer connections are wired.

Also might I add that never in my computing history have I ever had an Ethernet port not work in an operating system.

it's just the concept of wired internet that scares me :ph34r:
Haha, I'm sorry but that's just hilarious :lol:
:withstupid: