Having some network/homegroup issues, need help!!

t0asty

This is very frustrating and before I start throwing things I need to see if someone can help me, in the simplest terms possible because all the networking/internet lingo is way over my head.

What happened was is that I just moved into a new house. The old Linkseys WRT160-N (I think?) was my old roommate's so I bought a D-LINK DIR-655 to use as a wired connection through the gigabit port, and use the wireless connection for my laptop so I can access the homegroup server and watch movies that are on the desktop out in the living room. This was not a problem with the Linkseys router. I could access files through homegroup, as well as through the network folder. With the new router installed, I get the internet on all the computers without a problem. The problem is that when I go to connect to either my laptop to my desktop or vise-versa, I can't anymore. When I click on the computers that are on the homegroup, the library folders are displayed, but when I click on them, nothing happens at all. Then I go through the network itself to connect to the other computer, that's when I get the message attached below. I then run a diagnostics on the network and get back the second picture shown below.

I have turned all firewalls off on both computer's. I successfully pinged each pc both ways by IP and by name. Turned on all the sharing things in my network and group settings with password sharing turned off. Gone into my router settings and looked around for anything I thought I could change. Googled for hours straight for the past few days with no luck. If any of you networking guru's know what I should do please tell me. I am completely lost. Thanks...

post-65500-12813901651223_thumb.jpg

post-65500-12813903308013_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure but I think Home Group utilizes UPNP - make sure you have this enabled on the router.....ok lets start small.

So you know how to access the internal menu of the router with the web interface?

yeah I have looked through it before. I have UPnP enabled as well post-65500-12821610800388_thumb.jpg

A friend of mine said it might be that the IP's are conflicting on the computers? I also tried hooking up my external HD on the USB port on the router which is supposed to be able to be access by anyone on the network, but yet, the router doesn't even see the HD.

both are win7, 64bit on the desktop, and roommate's laptop, 32bit on my laptop.

Don't worry about the PC's its obviously the router as you haven't changed anything...

Its likely not the IP's but you can check that in the router. Have you changed anything on either PC. So the PC's can ping each other? Or the router can ping each PC?

I didnt change anything on the PC's when I moved. Just disconnected the old router, moved my pc to my new house, then hooked up the new router the way it said to in the manual (not changing any settings though).

If I shouldn't post this, let me know and I will edit the IP's but:

My desktop's ip is 192.168.0.100

My laptop's ip is 192.168.0.101

When I go to cmd prompt and do ping "ip" both ways, they have 0% loss

When I go to whatsmyip.com they both come back with the same "edit" address though, is that a problem, or is the website just picking up on the router ip.

Edited by t0asty

I just recreated another homegroup, trying it on both computers, gives the same errors.

I then dissabled homegroup, and tried to set up a simple SMB by going to the folder I wanted to share over the network, rightclicked and shared with "everyone". When I go into My Computer and click Network on the sidebar, it shows all the pc's on the network, but when I click on the pc I want to connect to, I get the same error message as the one in the first post saying:

"Windows cannot access \\MIKE-DESKTOP

Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose. "

The details path gives me Error Code: 0x80070035 "The network path was not found."

The only problem found is that "File and print sharing resource (MIKE-DESKTOP) is online but isn't responding to any connection attempts."

Oh, also it says even further down under "Issues Found"

-The remote computer isn't responding to connections on port 445, possibly due to firewall or security policy settings, or because it might be temporarily unavailable. Windows couldnt find any problems with the firewall on your computer.

I already went as far and uninstalled my firewall on my laptop, and I only have windows firewall on both now (which is disabled atm). Maybe try forwarding that port?

Well I tried forwarding the ports by creating inbound and outbound rules for the connections. Tried connecting the wire to each of the 4 ports on the back of the router. Deleted homegroups and re-creating groups with no luck. I am at a loss. Would it be worth reinstalling windows, or is that too drastic? I hate not being able to figure something out.

On a side note, I googled around and forwarded port 9303 to get my external HD to be recognized on Shareport on the router. I can connect to the HD on both computers over the network, wired and wireless.

I feel like if I was able to do that, I could connect to an internet HD like I want via homegroup or a SMB.

Edited by t0asty