1000 dollar system build. Ideas?

Locutus

Maybe this is why?

Ahaha, I don't remember saying that. :pfp:

Right now I'm thinking:

Keep case, HDD, DVD drive, PSU

Buy GTX 470 now

Get I7-930, Asus P6T Deluxe, G-Skill DDR3-1600

Then get another GTX 470 for SLI later. But in this case I'd probably need a new PSU. (Newegg suggests a 930W minimum.) So hopefully by then the 470 will be 100 bucks cheaper. ;P

Would not go for a 470 right ,i think they are goin to change it to a GF100 to GF104 which be about the same performance and less heat and power consumption.would get the x6 1055T or 1090T and mobo 980a chipset for sli with 2 460.ur performance would be more than the 480 almost close to the 5970.

Not "would be more than the 480" two 460's just are more than a 480.

Amazing SLI Scaling: Do Two GeForce GTX 460s Beat One GTX 480?

First time they've seen either SLI or Crossfire meet (actually surpass) 100% scaling.

Can SLI scaling ever reach 100%? It can with the GeForce GTX 460, but only at MW2’s highest settings. It’s at this point that we really must remind readers that this particular game is completely playable at all settings, even using a single GeForce GTX 460.

If you're building fresh there's no way you're gettin an i7 system. Videocard definitely 460, the 470's performance is easily acquired or surpassed with overclocking and you save like $70+ dollars.

Play around with either an i5 or X6/X4 build but make sure it's balanced, don't have one end of the build underpowered because you splurged in another. An AMD system would help in this regard.

You can use my cousin's system as a starting point

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=177160

maybe throw better memory, cpu, and motherboard into that and you gotta good system (obviously you'll need a different case)

I tell you I just built a AMD 1090T hex core build for $1002 .... just used my old keyboard, mouse and monitor.... otherwise all was from NewEgg.

Amd 1090t be

Asus motherboard

Corsair mem 4 gigs

Corsair 750 w power supply

Artic cool freezer pro cooler

500 gig WD hd

DVD Drive

Sapphire 5770 HD GPU

Rosewell case

Works great and is fast as all heck at stock speed

Just my 2 cents worth

Tinpau

If you're building fresh there's no way you're gettin an i7 system.

I kind of figured this out on my own. Here's what I've got so far:

Core i5 661 - Outperforms my Q6600 by a long-shot, even though it's a dual core (because of the HT)

EVGA P55 SLI.

G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 CL7 2x2GB

Rosewill 1000W 80+

Sum is around 600 bucks, which leaves me quite a bit of room for video cards. The ideal situation right now is if nVidia releases the dual GF104, I'll get one of those and a single 460 to SLI with it.

So here's a question, would Tri-SLI bottleneck on the i5 661? Also, would I be better off with a 660 since they have lower power usage? Or do they not OC as well?