Sign in to follow this  
Locutus

1000 dollar system build. Ideas?

So today my fiance told me that if I quit smoking she will buy me a brand new computer. I told her that it would cost about a thousand dollars and she said "OK."

I'm not sure whether or not I want to go with ATI or if I want to go with nVidia. But I do know that I want to stick with Intel. I would prefer a setup that gives an exceptional boost over my current build (Q6600, DDR2 1066, ATI Radeon HD 4870.)

So then, gentlemen, how would you spend 1000 dollars for a fresh build? She will probably be getting all of my old parts. :P

you can keep all this , "2x Western Digital 500GB,Cooler Master HAF 932, ULTRA 750W PSU" , buy a motherboard an I7 , 3 gb of ram I think it's enough and you can add more later if you want , some ssd, and two 460... there you go. Just for the record I don't think you need a new rig , you got a pretty good computer already, maybe you can keep your 4870 it has a lot of good years to live from my point of view, you could use "stop smoking" though LoL...

I personally wouldn't even consider 3GB of ram... Things are you using more and more ram all the time. Plus it would be better to have 3X2GB than, 6X1GB in the future... six sticks would put more strain on the memory controller. I definitely would keep your HAF 932 and probably even your current hard drives.

This is just something I threw together, and you probably will want to go a bit cheaper on some stuff, but its a start. (note you will have to use parts of your old rig in this)

i7build-1.png

Edited by Bandrew

Don't give into peer pressure keep smoking until your lungs are shriveled and black; that means they're healthy.

I7 930

Mid Range board

Couple of 460's

6gb of ram

Corsair TX 750 PSU

Keep your case and a HDD

+1. Listen to Frank!

For the memory, an A-DATA or G.Skill 6GB DDR3-1600 kit would work out well.

For the board, I'd go for one with USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps. May not use any of it now but for future usage it will be handy. Like this EVGA or ASUS.

If I keep any of these parts I will have to buy low-end parts to replace them. (Since I am not merely selling off parts, but giving my rig away.)

There is no way in hell I am buying a GTX 465.

Why does everyone suggest i7? Is the Phenom II x6 such a bad processor that nobody would suggest it? And why is everyone saying nVidia? I know that the 460 is a good card but when I have a 1000 dollar budget I don't think I'd like to stick to a "consumer" card, I think I'd rather get a 5850.

If I keep any of these parts I will have to buy low-end parts to replace them. (Since I am not merely selling off parts, but giving my rig away.)

There is no way in hell I am buying a GTX 465.

Why does everyone suggest i7? Is the Phenom II x6 such a bad processor that nobody would suggest it? And why is everyone saying nVidia? I know that the 460 is a good card but when I have a 1000 dollar budget I don't think I'd like to stick to a "consumer" card, I think I'd rather get a 5850.

Have you looked at the pricing on a 5850 its more expensive then a GTX 460 :lol:

An X6 would be a nice setup and it would keep the cost down.

Have you looked at the pricing on a 5850 its more expensive then a GTX 460 :lol:

An X6 would be a nice setup and it would keep the cost down.

That was exactly what I was thinking, since it doesn't use triple-channel DDR3.

I was referring CCokeman, who said to get a "couple of 460's"

Maybe this is why?

But I do know that I want to stick with Intel.

:rolleyes:

Well, I prefer AMD myself, so this may be bias.

The reviews I've seen for the Phenom II x6 CPUs have been quite positive, when the price is factored in. Intel's six core offerings are better, but are so expensive. Also what I've seen is that, essentially, the 1090T is the only six core AMD that's worth it. Not to say the others aren't good, but that only the top line really competes well even with the x4's out there, but that's in part because not much takes advantage of 4 cores, let alone 6. So don't rule out a four core, if you need to save money.

Also I've seen that the 1090T, stock 3.2GHz was upped to 3.4GHz without having to change voltage or getting much more heat.

Though I don't have one, I'd recommend the 460 too. I've seen so many good reviews that I'm really tempted to get one (just waiting to save up money, and to see what else the G104 is put in). I am extremely satisfied with my 5770, in case that helps, but if you have the option, you should probably go 460.

Good luck with quitting smoking.

Edited by Guest_Jim_*