Why get a mac?

Jump4h

So in other words, your workstation, which probably was overpriced in terms of hardware should we believe the OP screenshot, functions better than, what, a mid-range desktop with Windows?

All I can say is I can save a lot of money by buying the workstation parts separately, getting OSX and using one of the available cracks to make it function on non-proprietary hardware, and hope it complies with the hardware.

Just like I as well would probably be able to create a machine more powerful than yours, with windows and run in circles around yours, since what you have, according to what you say, is a workstation, not an ordinary computer, as Macs capable of doing what you do probably end up in the higher range of their scale.

Just to shoot down your passion and CAPITAL LETTERS a bit, while Vista is one of the most retarded operating systems I've ever witnessed, I've been running XP on my current machine for 5 years, without bluescreens or devastating viruses. So it's more a question of the purpose of your computer, if you intend to do image editing and heavy rendering and so forth, buying an HP "PC" for $500 isn't getting you anywhere, as is getting the cheapest Mac.

No more is the shortcomings of Windows subject to huge exposure from the vast usage as it is to many of the users being the kind who download the Internet.

I'm not saying your machine is garbage, rather the opposite; It might be worth every penny, but I'm certain you've put quite some pennies into it. With all probability, you could get better parts if you bought them separately, however, you wouldn't get the image Apple is trying to sell you. Put the same money on parts and the (ridiculously priced) w7 ultimate and you would probably be as pleased, after overcoming the shock of an unfamiliar Operating System.

I would use OSX if I wouldn't have to pay several times more for the hardware that goes with it, really. It's just that I rather focus on performance and its ratio to price, than being able to say "I has mac" to every poor bloke passing me on the street.

Most of the criticism you have about windows seem to be about the lesser experienced users, the mainstream, if you will. They are the ones to click flashy adds on odd websites to get a zillion viruses.

Not that Windows is the best manager of system resources, but it has the largest compatibility. I suppose why Macs can use the same hardware better is because they don't support all, and can focus on performance of the parts they do support. It is a pity in the way that the hardware they offer is usually a little behind, while "PC" owners can claim to own the 'newest'.

I wouldn't buy into the "best quality parts", most companies claim this, and while Apple certainly has a higher probability of using quality parts, the extreme quality as supposed by the prices is fairly unlikely.

Yes, your Mac is good, and yes, it consist of overpriced parts, however well the OSX might work with the parts.

Also get the distinction between Mac vs PC and OSX vs Windows correct. Us Linux users feel left outside. ;)

not bad - you are fair -

and yes i bought my ATI radeon card online and it is a pc card-i flashed it-two minutes to install and 4 minutes to startup, flash and reboot. Savings $280! sorry about the all caps... a habit from from a job where all caps for software and companies was required for publication-its still a crappy habit. My memory all 16gigs was bought online for slightly less than Apple's price-at the time the fully buffered memory was just outrageous and didn't vary much at all - i think i saved about 40 bucks per dimm... Oh and my second dvd-rw+/-ram drive. Savings 150 smackers. I did buy an apple 30" monitor-full price but at the time could not find a screen that large with the same angle view-the screen is still gorgeous-i am sure it is beatable now - at the time - i couldn't find it.

I do agree that if one purchases all of the addons when ordering or any addons for that matter-they are fools. Guess i can see it if they do it for convenience-but they will pay for it! I always recommend when purchasing a mac - (all caps)only buy basic no frills base mac.

And i am extremely familiar with pcs and windows if fact i fix them for friends and for extra cash all the time. Have yet to find one i couldn't fix. And yes i have had to fix a few macs too. But far fewer.

peace

-david

oh and linux is sweet! Macs can run linux too.

;)

And I don't hate windows-it's alright-i use it though only for one application these days - and if needed for jobs will use it again. I actually would only run data base software on a pc cause i happen like a couple of the db programs - pcs i don't hate at at all - wish they ran os x natively - hackintsih i hear doesnt run that great or didnt as i havent hear much of late. I guess what i am trying to say is how nice it would be if we could all use each others systems on the same machine.

I wish apple had hdmi output on their cards-i know pcs have had them-so their are some things i am jealous of even-i can admit that.

Edited by davidcarswell