1156 vs 1366

hi all

trying to expand my knowledge base before attempting to build my pc

What are the major pros cons and which is the most future proof?

are there any restrictions to components on either?

trying to get the best value i7 under £250 which will stand the test of time and a motherboard to support SLI, DDR3, overclocking

many thanks

What is future proofing? There's always something bigger and better on the horizon.

I'd go down the 1366 route with the triple channel memory, probably an i7 920/930 for now, with the possibility of upgrading to a six or eight core sometime in the future?

If you overclock the i7 to somewhere at or about 4GHz it will last you a while.

With a budget of $1600 USD...definitely go for LGA 1366 :thumbsup:

You can always put your questions in your other thread. That way other members don't miss the details :popcorn:

As for the main differences... The processors are different (different socket), memory is triple channel instead of dual channel (but you still can run dual channel if you reallly want to), and heatsink brackets are different. Everything else is indifferent of platform.

What is future proofing? There's always something bigger and better on the horizon.

I'd go down the 1366 route with the triple channel memory, probably an i7 920/930 for now, with the possibility of upgrading to a six or eight core sometime in the future?

If you overclock the i7 to somewhere at or about 4GHz it will last you a while.

Yeah, thanks, probably the i7 930,

i know futureproofing doesn't really exist in the computer world but i meant in terms of motherboard, whether 1366 would cater for a wider variety in the future

With a budget of $1600 USD...definitely go for LGA 1366 :thumbsup:

You can always put your questions in your other thread. That way other members don't miss the details :popcorn:

As for the main differences... The processors are different (different socket), memory is triple channel instead of dual channel (but you still can run dual channel if you reallly want to), and heatsink brackets are different. Everything else is indifferent of platform.

Thanks,

you had already changed my mind with your comment on my other thread, but i read a review on scan on 1156 socket that confused me again!

thanks crazy_nate, you have been much help!

Have you considered AM3 ? Since LGA 1366 and LGA 1156 will be phased out again and become like LGA 775 . AM3 is garranteed to support AMD 8 cores and seems cheaper while more future proof because CPU's will be available for AM3 and as more games will be more adapted for 6 cores (just like when everyone was one had duals and games became more optimised for quads) and the 6 cores will in turn offer better performance down the line.