System not booting w/HD5750

A3oN95

Greetings.

I recently bought a XFX HD5750 512MB from another guy, to replace my 8600GTS.

As soon as i got home, i switched one vga for the other (funny how 5750 is smaller than 8600gts), and tried to test it. To problem is that, with the new vga on, the system is not POSTing: the power led is active on the board, all the fans start working (including the one from 5750), even the dvd-rw drive does its usual sound of booting up, but nothing else happens, the screen stays black, there's no post, no beeps, nothing (after some seconds the dvd-rw gives that sound again, it's like if the system was rebooting over and over again every 5-6 seconds).

My system specs are the following:

- C2D E6400 [email protected]

- RAM A-Data 2x1GB 4-4-4-11

- PSU LC Power Giant Green v2.0 LC6550GP 550W (18A+16A)

- MB Asus P5N-E SLi (v0604 bios)

- HD Seagate 160GB SataII + Maxtor 250GB IDE

After this failure, i mounted the 8600gts back in (and system started working normally again), and went to test the vga in a friend's PC, with the following specs:

- C2D E6750 2.66Ghz

- RAM 4Gb Corsair XMS2

- PSU NOX Apex 800W

- MB Asus P5KC

- HD Seagate 500Gb (7200.11)

And in his system (usually equipped with an hd4870 1GB), it worked, which suggests that the problem is most certainly in my computer, and not in hd5750.

Right now there's only two reasons i can remember for this issue: MB incompatibility/outdated bios or lack of PSU power to run it (and if it's this one i'm in some trouble, since i can't send the vga and get the money back, nor can i afford to buy a new, better psu right now :( ).

Before buying the card i checked for internet feedback, and i saw various examples of equal/worse psu's running this vga fine (and its power draw, surprisingly, is just a little higher than 8660gts', according to web reviews), which made me think it was "safe" to buy it.

And about the MB, it's a 650i chipset, and my bios version is actually a little old, but there isn't anything that suggests to me a need of flashing to a newer version (i was thinking it could be needed due to hd5750 being pci-ex 2). In the latest bios for it, though, the notes say: "Fix it takes long time to show up on screen with certain AMD graphic card when booting up the system.", but in my case the system's not even booting, so i don't think this would be the reason (i'll be updating the bios soon anyway, just to check if that is the reason of the problem).

I'm getting out of options, and i certainly wouldn't desire to have just spent money for nothing, any help would be appreciated... =\

If in doubt about the BIOS support there isn't any harm in updating it.......

Other than that I agree with Steve's recommendation about putting the GTS back in for the purpose of cleaning up the left over drivers. And since you have it back in you might as well update the BIOS too :)

After using the nVidia uninstall utility, make sure to run a sweep using DriverSweeper (available for download here; http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/)

After BIOS update and driver cleaning/sweeping, power down, swap card and see if you can boot.

Your power supply is questionable, but you do have two 12V rails with a combined 34 amps - so just be cognizant of how you're loading the rails and it may be fine.

Well, it might be his power supply. Never heard of LC Power. And OCZ power supplies are pretty darn good, so they can handle about anything. Replace your PSU and it should work. Ask your friend if you can

borrow his PSU.

My PSU - 550 watts has this: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] Runs a quad, and 5770 no problem.

Your PSU on the other hand has his :

+03.3 V : Max 35A

+05.0 V : Max 40A

+12.0 V1: Max 16A

+12.0 V2: Max 18A-12.0 V : Max 0.8A

+5.0VSB : Max 2.0A

Edited by l1o2l

I was aware of the limitations of the psu, but i searched for data of people using it with this new vga's before buying, and the problem didn't really come from it. I found out the system actually posts... after ~50 sec. of self-rebooting (it reboots 8 times before starting to work).

I'm reading about more people with the same issue, apparently the new hd5000 series (and hd4890 too) don't mix well with 650i/680i, it's a chipset issue.

The latest bios fixes the problems for most people, but there are still some cases where it still doesn't work. I'll just have to update the bios and pray a little bit (now where did i put my flash drive...? x) ).

Thanks everyone for the replies :)

Edited by A3oN95

I will have to say 1 thing about PSU's. Some people make comments like "it works fine with mine"... LOL the Amps on the rails are less than recommended. It could easily be a matter of time till a card goes poof!

I will have to say 1 thing about PSU's. Some people make comments like "it works fine with mine"... LOL the Amps on the rails are less than recommended. It could easily be a matter of time till a card goes poof!

I agree with you on that one, some people really take their weak PSU's to their limit, sometimes with bad results after some time. But then there's also the other end: some guys i saw are really "psu nuts" :P. From the moment they see that the system's PSU brand isn't a Corsair/Antec/PCP&C/Enermax, they imediatelly come to the conclusion (sometimes not having tested or even knowing the reffered psu) that, any problem that may occur to the owner is "obviously caused by that crappy psu, take it out NOW!" (when most of the times the problem is NOT the psu, but something else).

But i completely understand what you're saying ;). I carefully read specs/reviews about my psu and the ones said to run with no doubt or "be able to run" with this vga, viewing their specs (efficiency/12v_Amp's/etc), and compared its power draw in idle and load with my old one. So, i was a little confident that it would work without even being pushing the psu too far.

Anyway, BIOS updated and problem solved :). Thanks again for all the help ;).

Edited by A3oN95

Unless you are on a tight budget do not get this system. The E6500 is a low end cpu. It is not even a Core 2 Duo. It is only a pentium dual core which is an older model. Remember the E2160? The E6500 comes from the same line. You want something modern. At the very least get a Core 2 Duo E7400.

The Gigabyte motherboard is used for very low end systems. The board costs about $50. The performance of a computer is highly dependent on the quality of the motherboard. Aside from faster processing speeds for ram, cpu and video, a good quality board is stable and will allow you to overclock the cpu and ram if you have the right components.

Diamond Brands-Diamond Prices

Edited by Razorback64