Shurman292

RAM: 6gb Installed, 4gb Usable

Wow talk about a nagging problem...just as always, three days after pushing the MemOK button for the last time I come home and have 4gb. It's almost like it's on a timer of sorts...anyone have any idea what's going on? Because I sure don't haha

Is there a known way to reproduce your error? As in, do you know that setting ___ in the BIOS will always replicate the error right away? I think what you should do is try to determine the exact piece of hardware that is causing the problem, be it the motherboard or a particular stick of RAM. First, use a single stick in the first slot, and see if it boots under an overclock setting that you know is bad. Then put the same stick into the middle slot, again see if it boots. Then into the third slot, repeat. If you boot all three times you can probably say its a memory stick problem, then go about finding the bad stick (its one of the other two). If at any point you fail to boot, put a different stick into the same slot, and try again. If it fails, then you have a bad memory slot. If it succeeds, you found your bad memory stick.

If all that doesnt yeild anything, then its probably a voltage/current issue somewhere.

Try that ^^^

Wow talk about a nagging problem...just as always, three days after pushing the MemOK button for the last time I come home and have 4gb. It's almost like it's on a timer of sorts...anyone have any idea what's going on? Because I sure don't haha

Hi Shurman,

i had a similar problem with mine memory, (from 12 Gb (6x2 Gb), bios and windows shoving only 10)... it was driving me crazy, i really didn't know what to do... but the problem (with help of OC guys), was solved by the following manner:

1. rearmed all memory sticks again in the slots,

2. carefully check all factory settings of the memory

3. changing all mem settings in the bios according to factory settings and the problem was solved, by the way the problem with my memory was in voltage (factory specs 1.5 V), but how bios settings was set in Auto, bios changed the voltage to 1.64 V.

My memori specs:

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 Triple Channel 1333 MHz, 1.5V (6 x 2 Gb)

Hope i help you,

Regards,

Smiki

Edited by Smiki007

Hi Shurman,

i had a similar problem with mine memory, (from 12 Gb (6x2 Gb), bios and windows shoving only 10)... it was driving me crazy, i really didn't know what to do... but the problem (with help of OC guys), was solved by the following manner:

1. rearmed all memory sticks again in the slots,

2. carefully check all factory settings of the memory

3. changing all mem settings in the bios according to factory settings and the problem was solved, by the way the problem with my memory was in voltage (factory specs 1.5 V), but how bios settings was set in Auto, bios changed the voltage to 1.64 V.

My memori specs:

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 Triple Channel 1333 MHz, 1.5V (6 x 2 Gb)

Hope i help you,

Regards,

Smiki

This morning: 4gb. I manually turned ram voltage down to manufacturer spec (1.5v) and immediately saw 6gb of ram without even pressing the MemOK button! This is a change from the norm so hopefully it will not revert back to 4gb within 3 days' time. I am almost 100% sure it is not a certain stick of memory that is causing the problem and I certainly hope it is not the motherboard because it will show all of the memory for a short period of time. Hopefully it is just a voltage issue that needs to be dealt with accordingly. I will update in a few days whether it stays at 6gb or not. Thank you everyone for your help!!

--Edit-- Unfortunately this was not a solution since I was back down to 4gb again the next morning. I reinstalled each DIMM and checked to see if each one worked individually. They all did, and each memory slot worked by itself - booted up windows like a charm. I am at a total loss.

Edited by Shurman292

This morning: 4gb. I manually turned ram voltage down to manufacturer spec (1.5v) and immediately saw 6gb of ram without even pressing the MemOK button! This is a change from the norm so hopefully it will not revert back to 4gb within 3 days' time. I am almost 100% sure it is not a certain stick of memory that is causing the problem and I certainly hope it is not the motherboard because it will show all of the memory for a short period of time. Hopefully it is just a voltage issue that needs to be dealt with accordingly. I will update in a few days whether it stays at 6gb or not. Thank you everyone for your help!!

--Edit-- Unfortunately this was not a solution since I was back down to 4gb again the next morning. I reinstalled each DIMM and checked to see if each one worked individually. They all did, and each memory slot worked by itself - booted up windows like a charm. I am at a total loss.

Now I'm really confused... and also out of ideas, the last thing (i don't know it will help or not), check this link http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=541

Regards,

Smiki

All my money is on the motherboard. Like I said in my first post in this thread, the same thing has happened to me before. A new board fixed it instantly.

All my money is on the motherboard. Like I said in my first post in this thread, the same thing has happened to me before. A new board fixed it instantly.

If I had the time to RMA the motherboard, I would. I might have to do it during Christmas break or something. However right now, I have it turned down to 1095mhz @ 1.5v with cpu running at 182 x 21 @ 1.18v and it has been running with 6gb for a few days now. If it resets back to 4gb after this I guess the only other option is to RMA :(

If/when you RMA the board, also RMA the RAM. Sorry your problem didnt get fixed :( You win some, you lose some I guess.

You could try taking out two of the sticks and running the RAM at rated speeds and voltages, and switch the slots each day, going through all three sticks eventually. That way you can for absolute sure tell if its the board or memory thats bad.

Good luck an keep us posted.

Edited by wevsspot

I researched the problem and have a solution. My 930 ran on 8G and all the sudden only 6G was usable a few months ago. I thinker a lot with my system and reinstalled waterblock many times. I didn't really care cause I have no use for 8G.

You may ask why 8G on an i7.... I had 8G laying around from my AMD build( Corsair XMS3) so I used it.

I just talked to my buddy who does a lot of reviews with heatinks. He said too much pressure is the culprit so I reset my processor. Took it out, re applied tim and put my waterblock on looser. Bingo. Success all 8G work. Try resetting and not too much torque/pressue on heatsink and see if it works.

Edited by Drdeath

If I had the time to RMA the motherboard, I would. I might have to do it during Christmas break or something. However right now, I have it turned down to 1095mhz @ 1.5v with cpu running at 182 x 21 @ 1.18v and it has been running with 6gb for a few days now. If it resets back to 4gb after this I guess the only other option is to RMA sad.gif

You do not need to RMA the board.

I researched the problem and have a solution. My 930 ran on 8G and all the sudden only 6G was usable a few months ago. I thinker a lot with my system and reinstalled waterblock many times. I didn't really care cause I have no use for 8G.

You may ask why 8G on an i7.... I had 8G laying around from my AMD build( Corsair XMS3) so I used it.

I just talked to my buddy who does a lot of reviews with heatinks. He said too much pressure is the culprit so I reset my processor. Took it out, re applied tim and put my waterblock on looser. Bingo. Success all 8G work. Try resetting and not too much torque/pressue on heatsink and see if it works.

If it returns to 4gb again I will try this method. How do you keep from tightening all the way? With the LGA1366 lock it sort of seems like you have to fully tighten it. Is it possible/safe to just press the levers down 1/2 or 3/4 of the way?

By the way, I have been running at 6gb for quite some time now, I believe 4 days, which is the most I have been able to achieve so far! As I said, I would like to run at 1600mhz instead of 1095 but I'd rather have the extra 2gb and not mess with it during the school year :)

Edited by Shurman292