Raid setup or one 2tb HDD@6mbs. 64 mb cache?

Alexpho

If you're asking whether RAID 0 for two drives will be faster for general use than a single 2 TB drive then I'd have to say you should go with a single 2 TB drive. RAID 0 won't really help your day-to-day performance and it massively increases your chance of losing data.

From a purely speed/performance standpoint, the RAID will outperform a single SATA III hard disk in most, if not all, aspects of performance. That being said, you do need to be more specific!

From a purely speed/performance standpoint, the RAID will outperform a single SATA III hard disk in most, if not all, aspects of performance. That being said, you do need to be more specific!

Sorry for the confusion. I am talking about a new hard drive setup to the motherboard.

It won't help at all in the one aspect that matters - latency. In fact, fakeRAID usually slightly increases disk latency.

Sorry for the confusion. I am talking about a new hard drive setup to the motherboard.

Dude.... What drives are you talking putting in Raid..... You give hardly any info.

I run 4 500GB hard drives in a RAID 0 config (128kb stripe) and find that the speed i get is vastly better than the speed my dad gets with a single 2TB in his machine.

I run 4 500GB hard drives in a RAID 0 config (128kb stripe) and find that the speed i get is vastly better than the speed my dad gets with a single 2TB in his machine.

Two 1 TB Hard Drive, 32 MB Cache, 3 GBps and 7200 RPM in a RAID O config versus one 2TB Hard Drive with new feature 6 GBps, 64 mb cache

What are the model names of the hard drives you're considering?

@Waco given that neither of the drives he's considering are SSD's, why wouldnt RAID be preferable to a single drive from a performance point of view? Access times will basically be the same either way.

@Waco given that neither of the drives he's considering are SSD's, why wouldnt RAID be preferable to a single drive from a performance point of view? Access times will basically be the same either way.

Performance with standard HDDs isn't really limited by sustained transfer speeds - it's random access that murders them. RAID doesn't help this (and potentially makes it worse) and vastly increases the chance of losing everything with a single HDD failure.

I used to run a triple-drive RAID 0 setup and after switching back to a single drive the only change I really noticed was that huge 4+ GB files took a bit longer to copy around. Boot times, game load times, etc, all stayed roughly the same. SSDs are a different story - but as you said - we aren't talking about them. :)

• Like 1