Turn on PSU without components

So i'm slowly building a computer. Slowly due to me being a poor college student. Can I turn on the PSU if all I have connected is a mobo? Will it hurt anything? I mainly just want to make sure i'm not sitting on dead stuff. thanks!

So i'm slowly building a computer. Slowly due to me being a poor college student. Can I turn on the PSU if all I have connected is a mobo? Will it hurt anything? I mainly just want to make sure i'm not sitting on dead stuff. thanks!

You should be able to turn it on with just that and nothing else. You can also get a PSU tester if you want, they can test all of the connections to see if anything is dead. They come in pretty handily.

I dont think you'll get much info from it if you try turning it on with no CPU or memory... if anything happens, it wont happen for long. But it wont hurt anything I dont think. If all you want to know is whether or not the PSU is good, you can plug in some fans, drives, CD Roms, whatever, and then short pins 13 and 14 on the 24 pin motherboard power plug to force the PSU to turn on without a motherboard attached. I will look it up but I think they're on the side with the clip, one back wire and one green wire. Put a bent paperclip into the holes and see what happens.

-Edit-

http://aphnetworks.com/lounge/turn_on_psu_without_motherboard_the_paperclip_trick

Edited by ebarone

Some power supplies require a minimum load to stay on (certain manufacturers recommend attaching a couple hard drives). About all you can test is that it turns on (unless you have a multimeter - allowing you to check voltages at very low levels of power).

You can't determine much with the motherboard connected. It might chirp or blink to let you know that it's missing a CPU.

There's a how-to here if you need another reference: http://www.pcpower.com/support/ATX_troubleshoot.htm