wd 1tb 64mb or 32mb??

nahuelcutrera

well here's the thing, I think there's no improvement between the 64mb caviar black and the 32mb ... is this true ?? the 64mb has sata 3.0 but I don't think it can reach speed to need that ... can someone confirm this ??

well here's the thing, I think there's no improvement between the 64mb caviar black and the 32mb ... is this true ?? the 64mb has sata 3.0 but I don't think it can reach speed to need that ... can someone confirm this ??

Sata III isn't making any real difference as the limiting factor is the mechanics of the drive and the cache and the controller. There is however some improvement between the two generations of drives.

The WD 1TB (64MB Cache, Sata 3) drive is 20MB's faster at writing cache to disk than the older WD 1TB (Sata 2, 1TB , 32MB) drive.

See link to WD drive spec sheets

Edited by dihartnell

Sata III isn't making any real difference as the limiting factor is the mechanics of the drive and the cache and the controller. There is however some improvement between the two generations of drives.

The WD 1TB (64MB Cache, Sata 3) drive is 20MB's faster at writing cache to disk than the older WD 1TB (Sata 2, 1TB , 32MB) drive.

See link to WD drive spec sheets

yes, I know the specs but I can't find a good comparison between the two drives to see if theres a real difference... the problem is that in my country there is like 50 dollars of difference between the two models and I don't know if it's worth it ...

yes, I know the specs but I can't find a good comparison between the two drives to see if theres a real difference... the problem is that in my country there is like 50 dollars of difference between the two models and I don't know if it's worth it ...

It's not going to be worth $50. Here's another thread similar to this one: thinking of going 6GB/s...

To my knowledge there is currently no single drive configuration, HDD or SSD, that comes close to saturating SATA-III, so $50 for a current SATA-III drive, will not be worth it. The extra cache on the drive though might prove useful, depending on what you're running. From the other thread

Extract from Seagate website below.

What to expect from SATA-III 6Gbps (SATA 6G):

• Not an immediate and dramatic across the board performance change.
  • Cache efficient and intensive applications will see immediate benefit.
  • Application optimization, controller, driver and OS optimization and areal density and other pending HDD technology will combine to push performance higher over the next 2-3 years.

My recommendation is to save your money, SATA-II is fine for the moment, and it will be a few years before we see SATA-III really having a place in the market (consumer market at least).