New Build Novice builder

DianeM

I am a new computer builder & have a problem figuring out if I have connected everything correctly. The problem is I have extra cords. Here are my components:

AMD Athlon II x4 630 Processor

Biostar A785G3 motherboard

Thermaltake V3 case

OCZ Fatal1ty 550w power supply

2 - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb 7200 rpm HDs

2Gb DDR3 Dimm

22x DVD burner

Floppy Drive (yes, I know)

Anyway, the directions for connecting the powercords for the power supply are pretty simplistic & I noticed that the 24 pin connector was really 23 pins.

I know that I am over my head. Please help!!

What is your problem exactly?

Your motherboard needs the 24-pin connector (one connection isn't used and won't have a wire connected) and the ATX12V 4-pin connector.

I'll presume your HDD's are SATA so that's one SATA power connector each.

I'll pressume your DVD burner is SATA so that's another.

... and the FDD power connector and that's all you need.

The remaining leads from the power supply are spare and you won't need them so stash them neatly out of the way.

Hope that helps.

My problem, it seems was a total lack of confidence. I double checked my motherboard schematic & the power supply info to determine that I could have extra power cord ends & that I had the right ones hooked up. I have finally gotten up the nerve & plugged the computer in (fire extinguisher at hand) & all the fans worked. I then plugged in the monitor & put in the system disk & we have a wonderful working computer. Needless to say, I did a rather disturbing victory dance but I am so happy. I was able to build this computer myself & I am sooooooo thrilled!!!! Thanks for responding to my plea for help.

My problem, it seems was a total lack of confidence. I double checked my motherboard schematic & the power supply info to determine that I could have extra power cord ends & that I had the right ones hooked up. I have finally gotten up the nerve & plugged the computer in (fire extinguisher at hand) & all the fans worked. I then plugged in the monitor & put in the system disk & we have a wonderful working computer. Needless to say, I did a rather disturbing victory dance but I am so happy. I was able to build this computer myself & I am sooooooo thrilled!!!! Thanks for responding to my plea for help.

:thumbsup: and I must say the fire extinguisher on standby is a first :O haha