To the programmers out there...

The EvilAlex

Google has a free Python class

I know the owners of JoinWCS server on CSS use Python to code their own version of WCS mod.

your so beautiful

right now i'm learning C++ and need to learn Java and Python, as well as C# because i, like you, want to get into the industry and i plan on applying to intern for riot games, and want some part of my Computer science courses to be easy

"No lie, I know at least 12 programming languages." - My boss today. The one he mentioned was Python because it is easy to pick up. C++, Java, C# would all be good to learn, the C's because I doubt any big games are coded in Java. However, Java is a good language to start with as you don't have to worry about things like memory management and pointers.

I'm taking Java right now and I love it over C. Most of the things you had to hand code in C (Linked List, Sorting Algorithms, and etc) are all built into Java. You could type maybe 20-30 lines to code a sorting algorithm in C or you can just type .sort in Java :D.

Edited by Krazyxazn

I'm taking Java right now and I love it over C. Most of the things you had to hand code in C (Linked List, Sorting Algorithms, and etc) are all built into Java. You could type maybe 20-30 lines to code a sorting algorithm in C or you can just type .sort in Java :D.

If you don't mind that your code runs up to many orders of magnitude slower (depending on what you're doing)...sure. :P

Edited by Waco

I just finished middle school this year, on average, I'm lazy as hell. So for the next two months I was wondering what should I do next, and I ended up in a high school, next to my house, talking to the school principal. And he got me interested, so without a second thought I agreed to study at there High School for a Programmer and signed the papers and told him that I will be learning everything in English (This is not my native language).

Personally I'm exited because I spent half of my life on my butt, in front of a monitor. And my dream was always to be involved in a video game development business, with cool people.

But even though I learned English and know a thing or two about PC's, consoles, applications, etc..., I never got to the programing bit, and I know nothing of this.

So I decided to ask my fellow OverClockers and get a head start on this before September.

1. Is there anything I need to know about being a programmer and can you give me a couple of tips??

2. Maybe I should start learning the basics??

3. Will this get me any closer to my dream of being a game developer??

Any reply is appreciated.

Being a game developer is widely seen as a hardest area of programming, it is a pipeline dream 99% of programmers abandon after making simple games. I make simple 2d games in my free time and have no desire to do 3d due to the time it takes. It is possible though so give it a try. However, if you're "lazy as hell" you dont have a career of any sort ahead of you so that needs to be solved before you start anything else. If you won't work hard you will never become a programmer, simple as that.

Virtually all games are made in C++, some in C. Java is almost never used for games because it is slow (the Java VM is written in C++). C++ is a hard starter language, but it is what I started with so it is definitely possible.

Virtually all games are made in C++, some in C. Java is almost never used for games because it is slow (the Java VM is written in C++). C++ is a hard starter language, but it is what I started with so it is definitely possible.

I'd say start with an easier language to get used to terminology and how to set-up certain things like arrays which are the the thing you rely on the most when making larger games (besides trigonometry).