Memory: 12GB G-Skill NQ

Video Card: Nvidia GTX260 Inno3d

Power Supply: Antec True Power 650W

Hard Drives: 2x500GB Seagate Barracuda

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa

Mouse: Razer Mamba

Headset: SteelSeries Siberia V2

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Ok so what sort of upgrades can i do to this rig to make it better. I was thinking a water cooling system of some sort. sli gtx470's. new psu to cope with all that. If you guys could give me some pointers on those 3 things what brands and prices etc would be helpful.

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz

Motherboard: Asus P6T

Memory: 12GB G-Skill NQ

Video Card: Nvidia GTX260 Inno3d

Power Supply: Antec True Power 650W

Hard Drives: 2x500GB Seagate Barracuda

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa

Mouse: Razer Mamba

Headset: SteelSeries Siberia V2

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Ok so what sort of upgrades can i do to this rig to make it better. I was thinking a water cooling system of some sort. sli gtx470's. new psu to cope with all that. If you guys could give me some pointers on those 3 things what brands and prices etc would be helpful.

You didn't mention what budget you have or case.

IMHO,

I would focus on overclocking what you have. Get decent after market HSF, if Air maybe Noctua DH14 or Prolimatech Megahalems like in my sig. Water is the way to go if you were planning to go for big overclocks although the d14 will get you pretty high.

For video cards I reckon the GTX 460 is great bang for buck and the palit platimums have a big overclock out of the box.

Plenty of good power supplies. I personally prefer Corsair HX series. 750 watts or up would be better for SLI, overclocked rig. More if you are going to use 2 x 470's. They need more juice than the 460.

I prefer Corsair HX series but plenty of other decent ones out there too.

u wont notice much the difference from a 260 to a 460 would rather get a more powerful gpu like 5870 or 480,5970?depends on ur budget,if ur overclocking the 650 w is more than enough,but if ur overclocking and going crossfire / sli then u might need at least 700w for 5870 crossfire but if ur going sli with two 480s then u might need 1000w .

My budget is not too bad. I was thinking $300 -$350 for water cooling thats australian dollars btw. a gtx 470 to replace the 260. possible sli 470 also. Hence the need for a new psu to power all this stuff. HX750 do the trick? i dont know much bout psu needs. Case is a thermaltake armor+ full tower.

Edited by bennymx

you could drop another 260 in for SLI, and blow the newer cards away ;), unless that is a core 192 model 260GTX...in which case, KILL IT WITH FIRE and then immediately get a Palit 460 and overclock it, and it will virtually become a 470 in strength for a lot less.

k so far its looking like hx850 psu, gtx460 or gtx470 just 1 to start and the water cooling. and nzxt phantom case maybe. Im not sure if gtx 260 in sli will be better than a single 470 or if i should upgrade to the newer cards anyway as ill eventually have to. The thermaltake armor is bigger than the phantom but i just love the look of it.

An SSD hard drive will be by FAR the biggest upgrade you could make to that system. You could even get two smaller sized ones and put them in RAID 0 for your budget too, and keep one mechanical hard drive.

Edited by ebarone

Maybe. I was kind of thinking gfx cards and water cooling since i mainly game. there fore psu and gfx were most important then new case and water cooling after. I spose i could go an ssd for the os to run on.

Maybe. I was kind of thinking gfx cards and water cooling since i mainly game. there fore psu and gfx were most important then new case and water cooling after. I spose i could go an ssd for the os to run on.

What games do you play that the 260 isnt enough? Going from mechanical HDD to SSD is on par with going from a GeForce 9800 GT to a GTX 260 in terms of performance jump. EVERYTHING will move faster with an SSD, and if you put your games on it the load times will absolutely amaze you. I know I sound like a big cheerleader for SSDs but anyone who has made the switch can back me up on this one. You will get a much bigger system improvement going from mech to SSD than you will going from GTX 260 to anything else.

Thats true my 260 runs all games fine. i run all my fps games on low for max fps and smoothness and ingame advantages that i get over other players. I was just going for gtx470 to upgrade the technology and dx 11 not that i need it. If i was gonna get an ssd i prob wouldn't run games on it even tho it would be fast i would just run os cause it wouldn't be big eneough for all my games and programs.

An yeah man the lycosa is a good keyboard i like it. im keeping that.

Edited by bennymx